I've recently purchesed a DiamondMax 21 200gb Maxtor drive and I tried installing it and the bios detected the drive, but only 32gb of the 200. I cant seem to figure out what the deal is. I've got a secondary Western Digtal 120gb already in. I've tried it without that drive as well. Any suggestions?
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with your new hard drive,
The figure of 32Gb is indicative that you may have tried to format the new drive using FAT 32.
Windows XP cannot format anything larger than this figure using FAT 32, although, of course other systems can.
If you need a partition greater than 32 Gb then you will need to consider formatting it using NTFS
Regards
paws
ATA 100 and yeah, I used the cable that I was using for my existing hard disk first and then tried the brand spankin new one that came with the drive with the same results
Hi,
I have reread your post carefully! and see that your original drive is referred to as "secondary drive"
If that is so presumably you have set the jumper on the secondary drive to slave and the jumper on the new drive to master and then followed the usual method of formatting?
If this is so and you still have no joy, then I would use fdisk, but before doing so download the drive tools from Maxtor (if they did not come with your new drive, they usually do)
delete the partitions, then recreate them and format from fresh with NTFS.
Regards
paws
At the time the WD was my seconday but its back to master.
I might be wrong in assuming this, but if the bios only detects it as a 32 gigger, then fdisk probably will do the same, right?
The Maxtor software tells me its a 32gb even formatted ntfs
Hi,
I think you should fdisk it and start again… you mention ATA 100 that's looking a bit old now, (trying to be kind!) you are not using disc overlay to enable your bios to cope with oversize disc are you?
Regards
paws