This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Weird Server CPU Issue

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OK, I KNOW I am running some pretty old tech here, but it was free and suited my needs… I started to build a simple file server using a Asus P3B-F Mobo with a 500 mhz processor in it. The processor ever says right on it that is is a 500 mhz. I configured to mobo to accommodate the processor and a 100 mhz bus speed. There is 1 gig of memory in it, if that is relevant. I started a clean install of Windows Server 2000. Everything was going along fine… …but then I decided to move a couple of things around, remove a CD drive and install a DVD drive and reconnect the 3.5 floppy. So, I do this and restart the computer. Only now when running in 500 mhz mode it tells me there is NO hard drive. If I switch to 333 mhz mode with a 66 mhz bus speed, the hard drive is there and it will boot up normally. I have tried to walk this back with the old CD drive, disconnecting the floppy, etc. No luck. OK, so WHY is it doing this and can I fix it so that it runs as a 500 mhz and not in 333 mode? This doesn't make a lick of sense…
Hello RussF92767, Have you tried updating the BIOS? Have you tried using less RAM? Also, are you sure your PSU is powerful enough? When you reduce the clock speed, it also reduces the power usage. Trying to use everything at once on a small PSU might have been too much. Although, that wouldn't explain why it didn't go back to normal. Let us know if updating the BIOS / using less RAM works. Cheers, Nahumi

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI