Greetings.
I have a wireless laptop that a friend of mine managed to isolate and hide away from other wireless networks around my home. He wasn't able to help me establish a WEP or WAP key. I've searched the net for how to's on this however they aren't as descriptive in method as you folks are here. Sorry im so illiterate here with my system. I also keep running into a problem with the creation of the key itself. my laptop is looking for 104 bit??? I have no idea what that is because it doesn't match anything in the how to's I've used thus far.
As it stands now, the laptop un-hide itself this morning and I don't know how to correct this. Could one of you help me please? This is probably something extremely simple for you folks here but for me it's complicated. If I am in the wrong forum or otherwise please help me get where I need to be to correct this? I really appreciate any help you folks can give me on this because I beleive I've been hijacked and someone is using my computer connection and probably… my desktop system as well. I firgure I should lock this all down first, before cleaning everything nasty out of my system. What do you think I should do first?
Thanks for your help
Woodsy
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:30:51 AM, on 10/5/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Ill be honest im not that sure what exactly the problem is with your pc. Generally a WEP is created from the wireless router (switch, wireless modem etc). For example, when setting up the router to connect to the internet there is normally a section (possibly within the wizard) that will ask you if you want to set up a WEP, then when u have finished the set up you would then search for the router using ur wirless adapter on ur pc and click to connect, when the connection is establishing it would prompt you to enter the wep that you enterd on the router and you should connect to the network (and internet through it). I dont think you create a WEP from your PC and if you can i dont no how 2 do it!!
Well.. if your just trying to "hide" your laptop and/or other computers on your network, then you need to do a couple of basic things. First make sure your network is setup properly. What I mean by this is to run the "Network Wizard" and make sure you are detailed on the answers you give to the questions the wizzard asks. Like.. when it asks you "This computer connects directly to the net..etc" or like "This computer connects through a router or hub"… those you need to read very carefully because your answer may be very similiar to / but not the correct answer and if you'll notice the last option for an answer will be "Other" (also.. on each answer choice it gives you there is an "example" link you can click on that will open an entirely new window and NOT effect your current position).
0xxx}====>The second thing you need to do password each user on each computer.<===={xxx0
That, in and of itself, will help protect you more than anything else.
Now, if your talking about someone piggy-backing on your net connection.. well.. theres not just whole lot you can do. IF.. and I say if… someone really wants to use your net connection.. then theres really not alot you can do.
Thank you Rob and Crow. Rob I have been trying to figure out how to create a WAP because from what I understand thus far a WAP is better than a WEP, (and definately better than a WIP'n ) but the better protection is to hide your actual connection through a router. Does that sound right? And that the only way I can create a WAP is to reestablish my network connections through the Wizard?
Crow, all my users are passworded already and have been for some time now. The Wireless light on my gateway is always flickering and looks like it's in constant use. When I disconnect and look at the Status on my connection the counters always reset to Zero for byte received and bytes sent. My Laptop is cool but the desktop has over 372 million bytes accumulated and those counters do not reset. Is this an indication that someone is routing through my system? I just got rid of someone routing through my system not three weeks ago with the help of a friend. Now it appears to me that they are doing it again, and they are gaining access through the wireless application on my gateway. Does this sound possible to you or am I being overly concerned for no reason?
In the meantime I will go through my network set up carefully and check on some of the answers I gave it. This might all not be setup correctly.
I really appreciate all your folks advise.
thanks
Woodsy.
What type of router are you using…? Also .. you can click start.. then run… type cmd and hit enter.. at the prompt type netstat -a (copy and paste that.. or.. make sure theres a space between netstat and -a) this will show all active ports and the ip addy's attached to them.
Crow.
I don't have a router. That is what I was clarifying if it's worth it to have it according to what I've read online. I have a dsl modem with wireless gateway that I purchased from Qwest. My desktop is connected via usb to the modem and the laptop is wireless. I did what you said about netstat -a and you want me to post that here? Can I send it to you privately? Wouldn't pasting this here allow anyone to view these port numbers and what is occuring with each one? I'm not trying to be a hassle, Im just trying to be cautious.
Woodsy
No.. dont post it here.. if your not logged onto any chats or im's.. then you shouldnt have but one or two tops active … (by that i mean if theres a bunch of different ip addy's listed.. then somethings not right somewhere)
and I apollogize .. i sorta skimmed through the original problem as I am a bit busy this afternoon and wasnt paying enough attention. However, in answer your question about a router.. YES.. def. get a router..
Crow
There are only two addy's that are showing on the Netstat. Ok I will get a router. Any suggestions as to which one is best?? Yes I know you folks are always really busy here. I appreciate any of the time and advise you offer. Anything else I should do?
Woodsy
Well.. I use a linksys (BEFSR41) and as long as it took me to forward a port around the dayam, I would think that would be right up your alley. I guess its just preference as to which one to go with but like i said.. i like linksys
Crow….
Ok.. I will get my router and then come back later when it's all installed… do my HJT log… and clean this baby all out.
Thank you very much for all your help. Catch you later
Walk with Peace.
Woodsy
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI