This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Ad unaware and Spyclot!

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

HI new member and still plugging away trying to learn as much as I can about spyware removal and other related matters because although I'm waiting for some help with my log I'll be damned if I'm not going to have a go and see what I can do myself. The lessons that stick the best are the ones where you get stuck right in and if you make a bit of mess then that tends to stay with you (won't do that again). Ken whit I mean. Anyway I've got questions,questions and more questions cos I don't know enough about all this spyware stuff to consider myself anything more than a beginner. Though I've come on leaps and bounds in the two months I have actually owned my own PC and been online. My logical way of approaching things and a reasonably higher than average IQ helps me along. I suspect that's the norm on these forums though as lesser PC geeks would probably just take their machine to the local shop or have a specialist take on board all this frustration. Some days I spend all my online time messing with scans and configuring about and tinkering with the machine instead of doing the fun things like browsing and stuff that I supposedly got it for. Who am I kidding! Anyway this post is not about me but I've always had a literary bent so I tend to get carried away with the alphabet and a keyboard at my fingertips. I want to ask about those three programs I downloaded. They all work ok at finding the things I'm looking for and they do their deletions. But theirs this one called PS guard that defies them every time. If I delete it out of hijack this log and it writes itself back in and it has tens of root entries that I feel hijack this ignores. I deleted its last remnants with adaware and their it was sitting on the desktop Icon and all at next startup. Delete it with spybot and I get weird things going on with my icons afterwards so I had to restore it and now no problem. This thing defies my logic as it stands and I don't understand why an anti spyware program will give you the option of deleting something it can't really. Doesn't make sense and the time spent scanning is not Insignificant. My estimation of anti spyware programs hasn't been that great when you consider that it is in the interests of most of these companies selling these products for spyware to continue unabated. Take Psguard for example. It claims to be a spyware removal tool and the list of dodgy spyware removal tools out there is long. No spyware equals no business for a lot of Individuals. Even you guys's on here would be deprived of a satisfying pastime helping folks with their logs. I'm not saying the ones above that you reccomended aren't genuine in what they are trying to do. But my liking and frequency of use is and will continue to go down if the experiences I've been getting using them is the norm. If so what is their real worth? Except as glorified cookie removers and file hiders. I've had better results using an uninstaller and then a startup program manager to stop these programs launching themselves when I turn the PC on. Sure they are still there but they're not running amok as they need to run to actually do anything. This is not Ideal but the best I can do in the face of it till I get more educated. Or find a product that actually does what it claims. Wouldn't a complete wipe of hard drive and subsequent Installation from a windows OEM disk not be a more fitting policy in a lot of cases. Sure you would lose your personal files but one would assume they would be backed up onto discs and so kept for posterity till needed. And a lot less headaches to boot. Restore my faith please. Yours Lynchy <_<
You have to be really careful what you click on while 'surfing'. Look at these sites:

SpywareWarrior's Rogue/Suspect list on PSGuard and XoftSpy/Paretologic…….
http://netrn.net/spywareblog/archives/2005…09/super-rogue/

XoftSpy can remove PSGuard?…hmmm :angry:
http://labs.paretologic.com/spyware.aspx?remove=PSGuard

Not all antispyware programs can get rid of these parasites. We're here to study what makes them 'tick' and advise you on how to get rid of them. It's up to the individual as to how they operate their machines and if they want to "wipe" and start over, it's user's choice. We don't charge you any money for our help, it's donated for free.
Cheers Jacee :) My faith has been duly restored. I was a little disgruntled when I posted that topic but I now realise I should have configured the programs as recommended by the page on bleeping computer. Me and my eternal pal Mr Dive.N.Deep oh well lol de lol.