This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

need help with a Compaq Presario 1230 laptop

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having trouble getting this laptop to connect to the net. It keeps telling me error 630. I have went through the help feature and nothinh seems to help. From what I can tell all the settings are correct. It says that the modem isnt responding, make sure your interrupt requests is set right….I cant figure out how to get it to accept the modem…..Can someone help??
What type of modem is it.. is it integrated or a card? Go to control panel and click on system.. then hardware.. then device manager.. it should show your hardware (modem) there. oxx}===> IF YOUR MODEM IS INTEGRATED DO NOT UNINSTALL IT …. Right click on it and choose uninstall.. when finished reboot and make sure it loads the correct drivers and you should be set. If you go back to control panel and under system.. hardware.. device manager…and right click on the nodem again this time choosing properties. Under the diagnostics tab, click on the "query" button. When modem is installed properly it will give you a small "readout" there in the second (lower) window.
I know this makes me sound really stupid but I am not familiar with laptops at all…Is there an easy way to know what type of modem is installed without getting inside the laptop itself??? When I got the laptop it wouldnt connect, when I first when into the modem properties it said that this was the type of modem installed: Compaq Presario 144 data+fax+voice But after working with it for over 2 hours and not being able to get it to connect to the internet I tried to uninstall it and reinstall it. When the computer rebooted where I figured it would recognize the modem and start the installation process on it's own, it didnt seem to recognize it at all………When trying to manually install it it asks if you want windows to locate any new harware but it doesnt find anything new. When it asks to chose your harware from a list I have chosen the type modem it originally said was installed and it says that windows has finished installing the modem. In properties it says the modem is working properly….I am about ready to chuck it right out the door!!! The people I got it from claim it went online fine for them but I find that to be highly unlikely as I got this 630 error the very first time I tried to connect after setting up my internet connection…Sorry to sound so computer dumb but in this case I suppose I AM ………….sigh

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI