This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Spontaneous cursor movement

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hope one of you geniuses can tell me just how to stop cursor spontaneous movement on my Toshiba Portege 7200CTe laptop on W98SE. Many thanks. RO
In the control panel.. click on "system".. there.. under the advanced tab.. you should find an acceleration setting. It will be a "slide" type of adjustment.. if it is set to "full" then back it off one notch.. if it is not set to "full" the slide up to "full"
Many thanks, Crow. I really thought your help would resolve my drunk cursor. Unfortunately not. Probably because I'm on W98SE on Toshiba Portege 7200CTe laptop. System brings up System Properties and NO advanced setting. But Control Panel has Mouse, with which of course I am familiar. But it doesn't have an advanced setting either, although many subheadings. At MOTION there is the slide adjuster which is set at lowest (ie., slowest) point all the way on the left. There is also an ASCCELERATOR setting to select from NO to Low to Medium to High. Mine is at NO. If you, or any other mouse expert, has/have any more ideas I hope they'll post. Cordially, RO
ok refresh my memory please.. under system in control panel… you should get a window with about 4 or 5 tabs… what are those tabs.. (sorry.. been awhile since on 98)
Hi Crow. System brings SYSTEM PROPERTIES; subheasings: General/Device Manager/Hardware Profile/Performance. Of course I had previously checked them all. FYI my French ISP (Wanadoo) has problem accessing this website. Very slow and never without a Refresh. Applies to log in responding to email advice of your reply, as well as posting replies. Add in the wandering cursor and takes about 15 minutes each time each way! Cordially, RO
It certainly is embarrassing to screwup, particularly without an excuse. Thanks, Crow for your persistence! File System/Graphics/Virtual Memory were staring me in the face without my having the sense to note they're all under Advanced. OK, setting was at Full (auto read ahead 64k), reduced one notch (auto read ahead 32k). Must restart for it to Apply, which have delayed for the moment. Am confident you've solved the problem and an much obliged. To coin a phrase, Have a great day! Cordially, RO
Good morning, Crow. Thought all was well and very relieved I was. But after several minutes the drunken mouse returned. I think to reduce the notch one more place but await confirm this is indicated. Have a great day! Cordially, RO
Sure, however if that was going to fix the problem I think it would have just by what youve done so far. How many icons do you have in your system tray (were the clock is)?
Hi Crow: 12 as follows (look forward to which to be removed and HOW!): MSN Messenger ZAFree firewall Volume (automatic, not there by choice; how remove?) FullPower AC ( " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " ?) 1024 x 768 32 bit True Color (" " " " " " " " " " " " " ?) Task Scheduler Incredimail (So I can get mail while Offline) Wanadoo ISP Wanadoo Booster Panda (evaluation; removal end of the month) 750784 bytes recd/72853 sent (automatic, not there by choice; how remove?) Intel Speed™ Technology Performance ( " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " ?) At left after blank space (about one inch), 4 more: Windows media Player PcPitstop Optimizer Internet Explorer Belarc Advisor. With exception of Panda, all these existed before inebriated cursor appeared! Cordially,
click start… then run… then type msconfig. Under the "Startup" tab you'll find all the items starting with Windows. Uncheck everything but Scanregistry .. Systray…..Taskmonitor. Those 3 I listed ARE to be checked. After you got only those checked, click "apply" then click "ok" and then you will have to reboot. When it gets back to desktop a window will popup saying "your using the system config management utility…etc..etc..etc.. click the box at the bottom of that window that says "do not show this again".. then click ok and your set. Each Icon in your system tray (the same items checked in msconfig) constantly send and recieve information, therefore taking all your resources(ram) and could very well be the cause of problem.
Much obliged, Crow. I was not surprised re Start deletions, except I thought PWRTRAY was one of the essentials. Yes? No? Also, some such as Volume don't have (recognizable) listing, as well as that Intel Speed… which only recently spontaneously appeared and I still cannot find how to delete it. I will surely prune them, but because of not having the sliding cursor while most of them were checked, I'll keep a few more than the three It's simply I am accusrtomed to the usefulness of clicking at lower task bar to access the items rather than going to Programs. If mouse condition continues Ill have to go along with your expertise! Welcome your further comments, and again thanks. Cordially, RO
FYI, Crow: Mouse now sober (not even a hangover)! Misconfig items reduced to 7, of which 3 will expire soon (Panda/ISP Wanadoo/Booster. The lower task bar reduced to 9; of which 3 will go soon (Panda/Booster/ ISP Wanadoo). No control over Volume or Intel Speed Step or Bytes Received-Bytes Sent/ AC light bulb (which could be eliminated)/ MSN Messenger (not signedin)/ ZA firewall. Thanks again for curing this irritating problem. All good wishes. Cordially, RO

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI