This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problems Installing SP

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I work for a church who supplies all us field ministers with a computer. They got a deal with Gateway and I received the machine with XP Pro OS and MS Office XP Professional already loaded and only got Gateway's re-install discs, not originals. I just bought an upgrade for MS Publisher and got it installed no prob. After installation, when I check for updates, it finds that I need Office 2003 Service Pack 1 and Office XP Service Pack 3. When I try to install the Office SP it comes back and says it needs the original installation source - its looking for cab files. I found the first one (MO561403.CAB) but now it wants P2561401.CAB and I can't find it to download. I thought it odd that the site that I found the first one didn't have the second one. Aren't the cab files somewhat standardized for an os? Anyway, any ideas on where I can find P2561401.CAB ? I haven't checked with Gateway, maybe I should. Thanks, Rick
How are you installing the updates? Are you using "help and support" or are you going directly to Microsoft? To get your missing .cab I would run SFC. If you got recovery disks then you should have an image on your hard drive some were but if theres not then you may not be able to run this. Click on Start, then run and type command. At the prompt type SFC /scannow and it will repair/replace system files.
Hey Crow, Thanks for your response. When I ran sfc/scannow it still wanted the orignal disc. And the Gateway re-install didn't have the files it wanted. Also, I'm trying to install the fullfile versions from Microsoft. Rick

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI