Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

SFC requesting windows xp professional service pack3 cd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Talker

Talker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hello to All, computers are nice, but getting disgusting at times. Gateway GM 5072 (two years old now) Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Ver 2002 Service Pack 3 Experienced a SFC check problem a year ago, in that a box pops up asking for 'Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 .CD. Well it just so happens, that this unit did not come with any disks. There is only the 'Recovery Console', and that is hidden in a separate partition. When I called Gateway for help at that time, was told: 1- Gateway does NOT use Windows XP Professional, and I must have installed it separately. 2- That there is never a need to 'run' SFC. 3-That Media Edition don't need all the SFC called for files. 3- Then they suggested that I use the install disks and do a reinstall. Now I'm completely flabbergasted with my talk with the Gateways tech response. The tech kept insisting that I did something wrong. So I straightened him out. They proved to be of no help. Well, I have a slow email and browser issue, and lately a Cyberlink Power2Go 'wont open issue. Doing a SFC /scannow, I get the request for the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 disk, as a file needs to be copied to the DLL Cache. No disks were included with this unit. Only the hidden recovery and restore function. Did make use of those functions at one time, no problem. But now, how do I supply a disk that is not available! When I let SFC, run through it's range, there are (7) pop up boxes asking for the Disk. I did do a 'Cancel' for each (fumbled here,actually is (14) pop up boxes asking for the Disk, NOT. (7) disk request, in order to do a complete scan, but without any 'file replacement ' being done, as I have 'no disks 'to use. Any news on how this is supposed to be handled or corrected!

Edited by Talker, 17 February 2009 - 10:00 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hi and welcome to the WTT forums,
:welcome:
Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your machine.
The Windows System File Checker can be a valuable tool.
The fact that it is asking you to insert the Microsoft XP installation disc means that you have protected system files that are missing ,damaged or in the wrong location. If you do not have a Microsoft XP installation disc then there are a number of workarounds.......
1 Have a look here and follow the links:
http://ask-leo.com/w...o_i_run_it.html
2 As an alternative suggestion. , just borrow the disc from a chum....The XP Pro SP 3 disc will do at a pinch if you don't have a chum with the media centre version.....
3 An XP installation disc is a most useful thing to have and with a little bit of effort you can make one.......just search for "Slipstream SP3" or "N lite"......however by far and awway the quickest solution is to borrow one from a chum...for the purpose of running SFC it's OK to do so.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Talker

Talker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hi and welcome to the WTT forums,
:welcome:
Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your machine.
The Windows System File Checker can be a valuable tool.
The fact that it is asking you to insert the Microsoft XP installation disc means that you have protected system files that are missing ,damaged or in the wrong location. If you do not have a Microsoft XP installation disc then there are a number of workarounds.......
1 Have a look here and follow the links:
http://ask-leo.com/w...o_i_run_it.html
2 As an alternative suggestion. , just borrow the disc from a chum....The XP Pro SP 3 disc will do at a pinch if you don't have a chum with the media centre version.....
3 An XP installation disc is a most useful thing to have and with a little bit of effort you can make one.......just search for "Slipstream SP3" or "N lite"......however by far and awway the quickest solution is to borrow one from a chum...for the purpose of running SFC it's OK to do so.
Regards
paws

Hi Paws,
Thanks for the welcome.
Thanks for the rapid response.
Went to the link shown. Some further varience to overcome yet.
When SFC pops up it's 'need to insert disk' there is no 'OK' that would lead to the asking for a 'location'.
Only get three choices, 'Retry, Information, and Cancel'.
Will probably need to find a place in the registry to add the I386 file location, and as of right now, don't where that is located. May be another way to direct SFC.to the I386 file, to C:\Windows\I386, but not aware of how as yet.
Thank You

Edited by Talker, 17 February 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

Have a look here:

http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Before you make any change to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

Then if something is deleted or changed incorrectly, simply go to the C:\Windows\erdnt folder and pick the erdnt.exe wanted to restore the registry to it's state when it was backed up. This can even be done from the Recovery Console if needed.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 tlfmd

tlfmd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

You caught Gateway in a lie... I hate it when you do that as I have next to me a Gateway laptop with factory installed XP Pro bought at Costco.. I too have your problem with sfc wanting CD on my Dell