This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer Won't Let Me Log On

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell computer that will load up windows and show me the login screen, but when I try to log in, it signs me right back out. The Dell support said it was a registry key that needed to be reset, but their fix would not work. I have sent several other messages, but they are silent. I can't login to run HJT!! I have tried loading in the safe mode, but I have the same problem. I have windowsXP. Can anyone help?!!!!!!!!
You have an XP install disk? If you dont but you have the recovery disk from Dell I believe that will work. Put the CD in and boot (you may have to change the boot order in BIOS to boot ONLY from cd) Now.. from here depending on what disk your using, your going to want to try and recover using Windows recovery. I suppose you could use Dell's recovery I am just not familiar with it. With Windows install cd, it will boot and ask "Press Any Key To Boot From CD" .. do so. It will go on as if to install windows (loading setup files…blah…blah) it will ask if you want to try to recover a previous installation, press NO to this one, it will ask you this twice. Keep going as if your going to install a new copy. IF you get to the "Select a drive to install Windows to..etc." Then you wont be able to use auto-recovery and then what "I" would do next fix MBR but if you do that…you need to be super-careful because you render your hdd useless.. Anyway you should get "Would you like Windows to try and recover ..etc..etc" on this one.. you want to choose YES. Let Windows do its thing and that should get you going.. Post back and let us know.
Crow, Thanks very much for the advice!! I was able to use th eXP disk to repair my problem. It was much simpler than what I thought it would take to fix the mess. You are a life saver.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI