This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Infected with XP security tools and computer won't start

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. You've been of great help when my sister's laptop had a problem. Now it's mine with a problem. So I know I got infected because I saw it on my screen but it was frozen by then because I was away. I restarted and tried to access firefox but it froze on me again. After another restarted, I couldn't log in without crashing. Now I can't even get it to reach the log in screen. The Dell startup screen shows up but the windows logo does not. I tried to go to safe mode and couldn't log in again. I restarted and tried again but now it just freezes after running the startup text. I am running a dell laptop on windows xp. What should I do? Thanks
Hello there, Tranquility

:welcome:

I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Read the entire procedure
  • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.
Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

**In any case where you happen to be busy or unable to give us a reply, we would be more than grateful if you keep us informed in advance and we will be more than happy to wait. :)
Hi,

Hopefully you have access to a computer that can burn CD's

We will need to make a BOOT CD

Print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing.

Two programs to download

First

Please download ISOBurner and save it to your desktop. This program will allow you to burn OTLPE.ISO to make a bootable CD.
  • Double click the ISOBurner set up icon to install the program, from there on in it is fairly automatic.
  • There are Instructions for the iso burner here if you need them.

Second


  • Download OTLPE.iso save it to your desktop. Now burn OTLPE.iso to a CD using ISO Burner. {NOTE: This file is 276.7 MB in size so it may take some time to download.)
  • When downloaded double click OTLPE.iso > this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD

  • Reboot the infected system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • you will find an icon on the desktop called OTLPE > Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to Safe List
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
      /md5start
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      nvata.sys
      iastorv.sys
      /md5stop
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.
While I do have access to another computer. My laptop has a broken cd drive. I do have the microsoft recovery console if that is of any use.
Hi,

There are a couple of methods..

Try this first,

Reboot your computer in Last Known Good Configuration
  • If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
  • Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Last Known Good Configuration option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start.
  • Login on your usual account.

Second Option :

Do you have an external CD driver to use?
Do I need to connect the external cd drive? I do not have the windows xp cd. Can I just go ahead and try the recovery console to try a system restore?
Yes, you need to connect the external drive to your laptop and then download recovery console from a clean computer and burn it, then you run the CD recovery console on to the infected laptop.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI