This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cant Log In After Changing Hard Drive Letter

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay, So im an idiot I know. I recently received a new replacement hard drive from Dell. When i reinstalled it it was installe as J drive instead of C: Today i changed the letter to C: Now i cant log into my computer at all A log in screen pops up. I enter my User name, I never had a password anyways. But I cant log in. It says loading personal setting then it just powers off. Ive tried in Safe mode too, and im always stopped with this log in screen. and I always get the same message. I know my user name is correct. Apparently I screwed up someting when i changed the drive letter from J to C. Is there a way to undo the stupididty even though I cant log into windows…? Help
Any chance that machine has a Zip Drive? (Iomega Zip or Jazz Removable Media Drive)

If so, have a look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326683/
_________

Since this is a new Hard Drive and fresh installation of Windows, your best course of action may be to Format and Reinstall.

You probably don't have much in the way of documents and media on the drive as yet, but you would need to take steps to backup anything you want to save.

You can back up your documents, media and files by removing the Hard Drive and installing it in the Slave position on an IDE ribbon-cable in a working machine, then use Copy/Paste to transfer the things you want to save. Then use a CD burner to burn to CD for eventual transfer back to the original machine.

Or you may benefit from using a Bootable CD such as "The Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows", downloadable here:
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI