This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't Log in to XP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my Dell Dimension 5000 desktop PC running Windows XP. When I turn it on, select a user and log in, the screen flashes the XP background then immediately logs off.

I was surfing yesterday and my antivirus program(AVG free 8.5) told me it had detected an infected object. The file it had found was called TROJAN.(something, I didn't really notice). I moved it to the virus and vault immediately and deleted it. The computer ran fine until I turned it off, and since then I've been unable to log in.

I tried logging in using safemode, but I was again logged back out immediately. Then i found these instructions on another forum:

" 1. Boot using your winxp cd.
2. Enter recovery console.
3. at the command prompt go to

C:/windows/system32

4. next type:

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe "

but that didn't make any difference. Then I found this thread here:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Cannot_Log_t103918.html

and followed the instructions there. Doing the chkdsk thing didn't make any difference, I couldn't follow the system restore instructions( CD\ was an unrecognised command for starters)and when I tried to replace the userinit.exe file from the XP cd or servicepacks I got the error message "unable to create file userinit.exe. 0 files expanded".

And that's it. I have no idea what else I can try. I would be very grateful for any ideas/assistance anyone could offer me.

Thanks
Hi AhLong.

Try booting to the Windows Advanced Options Menu (aka Safe Mode selection menu).
Pick Last Known Good Configuration

See if that helps. If not, do you have a XP Install CD? If yes, put it in the CD/DVD drive, then click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click OK.

Allow that to complete. If it finds any missing or damaged system files it will copy them from the CD. If not, it will just end, no completion message (por design on MS's part).

Also, you said (CD\ was an unrecognised command for starters) when you tried to follow the manual system restore steps. That should have worked, but you could try it with a space between CD and \ …. cd \.

Try sfc first if you have a cd.
Hi Ztrucker, Thanks very much for helping me out. I'm not gonna be able to get to the affected PC for most of the weekend, so it'll probably be sunday before I can try any of the things you suggested. Just wanted to let you know I hadn't disappeared:) i'll post back when I try them and let u know Thanks again

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI