This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

So Much Software So Little Time

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Having gratefully resolved my hijacking problem, I find I now have several anti-spy, anti-ad and cleaning software, a lot of which I am guessing, do the same things. Not only that but in finishing my problem, other software that I don't have was recommended. So, in essence I would be grateful for advice about what other have found worth keeping and what else I should get. I have: Norton Antivirus & Internet Security Webroot Window Washer 5 PC Rescue CW Shredder Spybot S&D Ad-Aware SE Personal Hoster CleanUp312 CCleaner And the recommended downloads were: Spywareblaster Spywareguard IESpy Ad and the free Firewall and Anti Virus
Norton Antivirus & Internet Security <<< Anti Virus & firewall a must Webroot Window Washer 5 <<< clean up program optional but always good to have PC Rescue <<<< good to have CW Shredder <<< on demand scanner so leave on system and only use as required does not take up resources.(put in folder) Spybot S&D <<<< on demand scanner use weekly dores not take up resources Ad-Aware SE Personal <<< a good on demand scanner, works well with Spybot a good 1-2 punch Hoster <<< on demand tool, unless you need to clean out your host files and reset them you can get rid of that one or not(put in folder) CleanUp312 <<< no familiar with this one CCleaner <<< on demand cleaner like window washer, free and takes no resources(put in folder) Spywareblaster <<< resident protection tool a keeper Spywareguard <<< resident protection tool a keeper IESpy Ad <<<< adds 1000's of known bad sites to your IE restricted zone so uses no resources. and the free Firewall and Anti Virus <<< as you have Norton this is already taken care of. I would recommend that you add a folder to your desktop and drop the programs that are on demand scanners in there. That way your desktop does not get clutter. I would run these scanners on a regular basis, making sure that you update them before you scan SpyBot Adware CCleaner or Web Washer Update Spywareblaster and Spywareguard weekly. Keep your antivirus up to date. Hope that helps

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI