Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Best Malware Program?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jlhough

jlhough

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:43 PM

In the past week or so, I've downloaded at least a dozen malware and anti-trojan programs in order to rid my computer of a persistant CoolWebSearch Trojan. Adaware, Spybot, CWShredder and AboutBuster don't kill it. They say they do, but it keeps returning. I've pretty much learned to spot the obvious culprits and delete them using HiJackThis, but they keep returning... so that's of little help. I've learned far more about spyware and malware this last week than I ever cared to know. That's almost all I've been doing. I've got Spybot, Adwatch, SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster running resident to catch hijack attempts, which keep me very busing rejecting attempts an closing popup windows... a real pain. I've bought the paid version of Adaware6 plus, and Adsubtract 3, and the trial or donationware versions of all the others: TDS3 - Eval copy doesn't find anything the others don't. Pest Patrol - finds stuff the others don't but won't remove unless you pay. Also their website free scan appears to be rigged - finds stuff the evaluation copy doesn't. The Cleaner - Didn't clean. Trojan Hunter - Still hunting. Spysweeper - still sweeping. Spyware Doctor - Patient is dying. And two or three others I've tried and didn't do the job. Many of them say they found something but want $$ before removal. I'll gladly pay the money AFTER removal, but not before... at least not until I hear very good things about that program. Several website scans seem to be rigged to find false stuff. Are there any reliable ones? I certainly don't mind paying a fair price for a removal tool that works, or even donating to freeware that works, but am tired of paying for products that don't o the job. I'd appreciate any discussion on what others have found that works with the newest and baddest trojans and hijacks. I'm also seriously thinking about trying an alternative browser, like Opera, Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox beta, or others. Anyone who has tried these products is invited to comment. Warm regards to all, Jere

Advertisements

Register to Remove