This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Default Icons

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A while ago I had the Stardock Object Desktop thing installed and I used it for a while but then decided to just go back to normal. The problem is that files like .zip's and .txt's don't have an icon. I mean like the little image that denotes it as a winzip file, or a picture of a notepad for txt files. I'm not sure if this was due to the icon program that was included in Stardock's program, but the files still open with their appropriate programs, however its icon is the icon that appears when windows does not recognize what type of file it is and it's a really ugly icon. I'd prefer to have the images restored, but I mean everything functions correctly..I'd just like to restore the correct icons. I have a feeling this has to do with the registry, but I don't have a clue how to edit it :)
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. 2. Double-click Display, click the Desktop tab, and then click Customize Desktop. 3. Select Restore Defaults
For Win XP go to Start>Control Panel>Folder Options. Select the File Types tab and find zip in the window and click 'Advanced'. Once in the Advanced window choose 'change icon' and change the icon to whatever is in the window (the winzip icon is in the winzip directory) that you want. Follow the same procedure for the txt extension and you should be back to normal.

For Win XP go to Start>Control Panel>Folder Options. Select the File Types tab and find zip in the window and click 'Advanced'. Once in the Advanced window choose 'change icon' and change the icon to whatever is in the window (the winzip icon is in the winzip directory) that you want.  Follow the same procedure for the txt extension and you should be back to normal.

154866


Sweet! Works, thanks man :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI