This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Files not showing up in their proper icons.

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Recently, some of my files (.mht, .mp4) have not been showing up in their proper icons in Windows. Instead, Windows shows the default icon that it gives to files without any program associated with them.

I have tried setting the files to their proper icons in Tools->Folder Options->File Types, to no avail. See this screenshot: http://imgur.com/649U.png (Note that the icon appears correctly within Folder Options but not in Windows Explorer.)

I have also tried the 'Repair Icons' setting with TweakUI. I have also tried associating the file in the preferences/settings of the programs that I use, but the icon still does not show properly.

Is there an option within Windows or a software that could make Windows show the proper icon again?

I use Windows XP Professional SP3.
I would look for a setting in your Mp4 player program. Look for file types and disable/unassociate them, and then re-enable them and it should reset the icons.
I have also tried this but Windows still does not show the proper icon. Also, this does not happen with one program only. It also happens on .MHT and .HTML files, among others. I feel that my MP4 player software is not the problem as the other files associated with it have the proper icons. The same goes with other software in my computer that have files with the wrong icon. I am wondering if there is an option or a software that could "force" Windows to use the proper icons. I feel that this is a result of a registry cleaner I used a long time ago. Restoring the registry to an older version would be an unwise choice as this could mess up the settings of the software I installed after using the registry cleaner.
Well if you think it could be in the registry, I would re-install the Mp4 program, that would reset the registry keys for it. Same for whatever internet program you use for .HTML files. What Internet Browsers do you currently have?
Hi Just putting my 2cents in the middle B) A simple way to clear the IconCache for Icons no longer used, is to set the resolution of the monitor to 16 Bit color. Then switch back to 32 Bit. This process clears the IconCache, maybe enough to clear space for the Icons in question. Otherwise, increasing IconCache size is the next possible step. Regards
Another thought, have you tried resetting it's default Open With program? It should reset the Icon too.

To change a File Types default Program
  • Find any file of that type
  • Right click it and click Properties
  • Click the General Tab if it's not already open
  • Click the button called Change… (it's to the right of Opens With:)
  • Choose a different program, any program
  • Click OK
  • Repeat this process again but at the end, choose the program that you normally want to use for that type of file
I tried changing the 'Opens with' of an MP4 file to another program and then doing it again with the original program, but the icon problem persisted. I also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but no luck. Does anyone know the registry key that I could edit to make Windows use the right icon? I already know the file and location where the appropriate icons are stored.

I tried changing the 'Opens with' of an MP4 file to another program and then doing it again with the original program, but the icon problem persisted.

I also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but no luck.

Does anyone know the registry key that I could edit to make Windows use the right icon? I already know the file and location where the appropriate icons are stored.


Have you tried Abydos suggestion?

EDIT: Take a look at this, someone with the same problem with the same program
http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8283

The guy who posted last said he had the same problem and this fixed it for him. The original poster didn't reply if it worked or not though. I was researching how to change the default Icon in the registry and this way is correct.

i had the same problem with second latest kmplayer version (2.9.4.1433)

i fixed it with going into registry to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\KMPlayer.mp4\DefaultIcon

and change the broken default icon location from %1 to:
"C:\Program Files\mm\The KMPlayer\KIconLib.dll",43
(change it to your own loaction)

What Internet Browsers do you currently have?

I use Opera most of the time and it is also the browser I set to open .html files by default. I also have IE7, Firefox and Google Chrome installed.

Have you tried Abydos suggestion?

Yes. I tried Abydos' suggestion to change desktop color depth to 16-bit and then back again, but it didn't work.

EDIT: Take a look at this, someone with the same problem with the same program
http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8283

The guy who posted last said he had the same problem and this fixed it for him. The original poster didn't reply if it worked or not though. I was researching how to change the default Icon in the registry and this way is correct.

i had the same problem with second latest kmplayer version (2.9.4.1433)

i fixed it with going into registry to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\KMPlayer.mp4\DefaultIcon

and change the broken default icon location from %1 to:
"C:\Program Files\mm\The KMPlayer\KIconLib.dll",43
(change it to your own loaction)

Thanks for finding that one for me. I have the exact same problem as the guy who posted. I also looked into the registry edit mentioned in the last post, but it is already set to the right file and directory. I will reply to that thread and see if the KMPlayer people know of a way to fix this. Thanks again. But please feel free to post if you find out or have ideas on how to fix this.
Hi, I was searching the net because I had the same problem, and came across this thread. Anyway, I found a solution, at least it worked for me. Probably not the most elegant solution, but it works. Anyway, this little snipet got me on the right track:

i had the same problem with second latest kmplayer version (2.9.4.1433)

i fixed it with going into registry to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\KMPlayer.mp4\DefaultIcon

and change the broken default icon location from %1 to:
"C:\Program Files\mm\The KMPlayer\KIconLib.dll",43
(change it to your own loaction)

I went there, but the icon was already correct, so I had a little poke around. I had the problem with HTML so I ended up at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shellex\iconhandler. I thought hey that sounds like it deals with icons, did a search and found this. Long story short, and in case that link dies: iconhandler has some fancy way of giving the same filetype different icons based on blah blah*, but I wanted all htm, html, etc to have the same icon anyway. So I deleted the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shellex\iconhandler 'folder', and hey presto the icons were correct. I still have a couple of icons on my desktop not showing correctly, but they show up fine in folders and I suspect the desktop will be fine after a reboot.

And just for fun: I came across this little program in my travels, NirSoft File Types Manager. Windows 7 no longer has a way for users to set icons for extensions, this allows you to change a bunch of options for filetypes including the icon. And it doesn't need to be installed either, I ran it from the zip. Didn't help with the iconhandler problem, but could still be of some interest to someone.

*(defaulticon location is supposed to be set to '%1' if iconhandler is used, fyi)


Anyway, just thought this could help someone in the future doing a search for the same problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI