This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Start Up Menu (msconfig) Required For 98?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm running an older computer with windows 98 upgrad installed. I've recently had malware problems. I don't know what the system requires for standard windows 98 start up. What needs to be clicked on in the list from RUN MSCONFIG. I'm only using systray winpatrol Leaving all the others un-clicked to gain speed while online. If there are any start ups that would help the system run to it's full potental, that's what I'm interested in knowing… Thanks.
I posted this info in the other area, Tom said I should ask these questions here. Each time I log on with AOL 9.0 in the Win.ini it updates the AOL start up group. Which slows the system down to a crawl. I run msconfig and click on the two that are listed under AOL 7.0 start up. Also the other error message regarding (REM) line loading device drivers into upper memory blocks using DEVICEHIGH statements. There's nothing to edit and the config.sys box is shaded gray. As well as the Autoexe.bat box. Start, click RUN, msconfig OK, Start up menu when I use AOL 7.0 [x] Process system [x] Process win [x] load start up group [ ] config.sys (empty) nothing to edit [ ] autoexe.bat (empty) nothing to edit these are the only two I have checked, in the start up menu list. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- [x] system tray [x] Winpatrol -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Using these two only, I'm able to log on and receive email. And the systems speed is normal. I still have no graphics in email, when I link onto a site, then I'll see graphics. But there very slow to load. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- When I use AOL 9.0 se [x] Process system [x] Process win [x] load start up group [ ] config (empty) [ ] Autoexe.bat (empty) These are what AOL 9.0 se adds to the start up list, and the system runs very slow. Graphics load one icon at a time. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [x] system tray [x] Winpatrol [x] McVsRte [x] Host Manager [x] AOL Fast Start [x] AOL CC [x] AOL Dialer [x] Mc Update [x] Mc Agent [x] Virus Scan [x] Aol Top Speed [x] AOL Acc Daemon1 I've tried removing just the McAfee's from the list but the system was just as slow. That's why I believe I need more RAM memory to be able to RUN AOL 9.0 se, as well as the rest of the programs on that Start up list. -=-=-=-=-=—=–=-=-=– My question is, what is the normal start up list for windows 98? RUN msconfig. What "should" be checked to run at start up? And how do I edit the config.sys so that I can add the DEVICEHIGH statements to load EMM386.exe driver. Config.sys, window is empty! And the check box is shaded gray, I don't have access to the check box, to be able to edit it and add the line DEVICEHIGH=EMM386.exe Is that normal? Feeling dazed and confused. ;P (this is the error message) There is not enough free memory to preform a surface scan. You may need to remark (REM) some device drivers from your config.sys file, or, in config.sys, you may need to load the EMM386.exe Driver to load our other device drivers into upper memory blocks using DEVICEHIGH= Statements. This is the error message that I got, that lead to me seaking help here. Microsoft Visual C++ Runntime Library RunTime Error Program:C\Windows\Explorer.exe This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information. Redirected Hosts Thanks. EM

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI