This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Maximum Performance

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have a Windows 98 system that takes quite a long time during the start up and internet search process. Can someone provide me with an easy-to-understand, step by step approach for maximizing its performance? Note that I just ran McAfee Virus Scan, and there appears to be no viruses. I am aware of PC Pitstop, HiJack This, AVG Anti-virus / malware, Spysweeper, Killbox, etc. With the exception of Anti-spyware and virus scan, I am unsure of what to run and when. Also, it appears that a lot of items are being run during the start-up process. My mom uses this computer pretty much for just email (AOL) and some basic MS Office type of activities. Please advise. Thank you. JSass
Hi Jsass, Give us a link to your Pit Test, so we can give you more informed recommendations. Just a note…. I'm typing this reply on a PIII 600mHz machine, running Win98, that I've been using for 11years as my main machine. It is brisk in response, accommodates all that I do on the internet, office functions, personal correspondence, and family picture and video management. I'm listening to my favorite music right now as I type this reply to you. I have 6 websites open, 3 documents, and could be using SKYPE or Yahoo to IM or voice/video conference if I decided to do that too. There's no reason why you Mother shouldn't be having a very satisfactory experience with her machine. Looking forward to this adventure with you. Best Regards, Doug
Hi Jsass,

Yep, that's exactly what I was asking for.
And it tells the story, doesn't it?

Follow the Pit Test Recommendations Completely.

In addition:

Download AVG (free) AntiVirus
and
Download AVG (free) AntiSpyware
and
Download Zone Alarm (free) Firewall
and
Download Spybot Search and Destroy Version 1.4 (free)
and
Download Ad-Aware SE Personal version 1.06 (free)

Don't install or run them yet.

(These are "huge" downloads for your Mother's Dial-Up connection. She has a "DSL" NIC Network Interface Card, so you could hook her machine up at your home/office if you have DSL to complete these Downloads. Or Download and Save the installation packages to a CD to install from CD)

__________________
Now unplugge the machine from the internet

After following "all" of the Pit Test recommended instructions………..

Uninstall the following:

McAfee VirusScan Network Associates Feb 27, 2001 <————Uninstall
EACOM Game Installer <————-Don't know about this one, uninstall it if not in use
EA.COM <————-Don't know about this one, uninstall it if not in use
Viewpoint Media Player <———- Junk - Uninstall
RealPlayer Basic <———–Junk — Uninstall and
AOL Coach Version 1.0(Build:20040229.1 en)<-Hopefully your Mother can be convinced to uninstall all things AOL :)
AOL Toolbar <—————–Hopefully your Mother can be convinced to uninstall all things AOL :)
AOL You've Got Pictures Screensaver <—-Hopefully your Mother can be convinced to uninstall all things AOL :)
Windows Media Player 7.1 This version is fine, but you may want to consider upgrade to ver. 9.0 But not 11.
AOL Coach Version 2.0(Build:20041026.5 en) <—–Hopefully your Mother can be convinced to uninstall all things AOL :)
AOL Deskbar <—————–Hopefully your Mother can be convinced to uninstall all things AOL :)
AOL Computer Check-Up <———-Hopefully your Mother can be convinced to uninstall all things AOL :)
AOL Uninstaller <—————–Hopefully your Mother can be convinced to uninstall all things AOL :)
Shockwave <——————probably needs to be uninstalled and install the current version
Encarta Encyclopedia 99 <—————Does this get used?
QuickLink III <—————–Don't know about this
Quicken Basic 99 <————Defunct and keeps "backweb" alive as a vector for malware
HP Pavilion Desktop Tour <————–Useless
BackWeb <——————–This is a "legitmate" utility that is "known" to be a vector for malware.
HP Help <———–This is probably defunct and of little use anyway.
Yahoo! Pager <—————Does your Mother use this?
HP Internet Center <——–Your Mother probably doesn't use this and probably won't
PrintMaster Gold 4.00 <———————-Does your Mother use this utility?
Professor Franklin (Remove only) <—————–Don't know what this one is, do you?
Willow Road <—————————-Don't know what this is. Do you?
E-Z Legal CD Software (CD Req'd) <————Does your Mother use this?
Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.01 <————-Uninstall, this is a hugely out of date version, install new one
America Online (Choose which version to remove) <———Uninstall any/all "old" versions

Do you know how to use MAPI to configure Outlook to utilize AOL email address in Outlook?
Also, you can use the AOL connection (if that's what she subscribes to) but access it via Firefox or IE!
______________________________________
Next:

Install the Security applications that you downloaded above
_________________________
Next:

You Mother's computer appears to never have received "any" Microsoft "critical updates and patches"
Therefore it is "extremely" vulnerable to attack/exploit by Malware

Download and install the Win98 update pack here:
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
__________________________
Next:
Open up the Tower Case
Use a can of Compressed Air to blow out the Dust Bunnies.
___________________
Next: While the case is still open…
Inspect to see how many RAM sockets are available.
Buy and Add more physical RAM
That machine can probably accomodate up to 784mb RAM
Install as much as she can afford!!!
Maybe 3 sticks of 256mb RAM? (should be able to get that much for under $100)

Note: If she does purchase more RAM and the total becomes 512mb or more, then post back to ask the specific question of "how do I configure Win98 machine to utililize RAM when total is 512mb or more.
(otherwise, you will have wasted your money on RAM)
_______________
Next:
Clean up all the "Junk/Temp" files. (I think I've previously given you instructions for how to do this completely?)
Run ScanDisk
Run System Defragmenter - Run it (3) three times in sequence

______________
Next:
Post a fresh Pit Test (after all the above)……. There are still a few items to "disable" in StartUp, but please accomplish the above tasks first.

Happy Adventure,

Best Regards,
Doug
Hi JSass, The recommendations that I've given you above will improve your Mother's machine. You do, however, have another option. You could decide to save all of your Mother's important documents, images and emails to writable CD. Then you could use a Win98 boot disk to reformat the Hard drive. Then you could reinstall the Windows 98 operating system. What are the "downsides" of such a plan? 1. Your mother's CD writer is one of the earliest writing units ever built. It's top speed is 4X, but is known to run at 2X in most operations. It also has difficulty recognizing nearly any blank CD for writing/saving, and is known for frequent errors of configuration, such that it treats disks as "re-writable" instead of "writeable-one-time" It might just be a nightmare trying to use that CD-writer (HP CD-Writer+ 8100 CD-RW) to make backups. *** You can watch sales at www.tigerdirect.com and www.newegg.com and get a good quality CD-Writer to replace into your Mothers machine for around $30. I'd sure think about it. 2. You may or may not have the Win98 installation CD. 3. You may or may not have the Driver Installation CD (required - or else spend alot of time trying to download and save the drivers from the manufacturer's site(s). 4. Not an obstacle, but you'd have to install the Motherboard Chipset Drivers and DirectX 9.0c. What are the "upsides" of such a plan? 1. A fresh clean installation of Win98 generally runs better than one that has been in use for a few years. 2. No need to clean the registry after removing all those files. 3. It would essentially be "one long step" instead of the several small steps that I listed above. What would I do? I'd probably do the multiple small steps listed in my previous recommendation. If your Mother wasn't worried about losing any data, documents and files, AND had both the Win98 install CD AND the Driver CD…… I'd have no problem reformating and reinstalling. Note: You'd still have to install the Security applications. You'd still have to go get the Win98 critical updates and patches. You'd still be recommended to ADD more RAM You'd still be recommended to install a more modern CD Burner. You'd have to re-install any Office software that she uses, as well as any other third-party applications that she uses. You'd probably still have to uninstall some of the "bloat-ware" that would come with the Win98 installation CD (like HP Backweb, and other HP specific utilities. Bottom line, I'd go with my original recommendations, but I want you to have the choice. Best Regards
Hi Dough, thank you for your second recommendation. I am familiar with it, given a discussion I had with a friend. I think I will choose the first recommendation. I am unsure whether my Mother has all the initial software and want to keep things as simple as possible, both for her and me. Also, most likely, within the next six months, I will probably buy her a new system. In general, would it be better to keep the W98 system and upgrade it, or buy a new system (i.e. current model)? If purchasing a new do you have any recommendations for brands - Dell, HP, Sony, etc. Keep in mind that she pretty much just does some basic word processing, email, and some internet. By no means is she a power user. In writing this, I am thinking the upgrade route might be the best, so that there is not too much change for her (she's 72 years young). Lastly, I think with proper explanation, we can discontinue all AOL, including ISP. I would like to have her use Firefox with a lower speed broadband cable connection instead of dial up, mostly so the phone line can be open while using the Internet. I say cable because of no long term contracts and that it seems simpler to me. Do you have any recommendations for broadband providers, or do I just work with the local cable / Phone (DSL) companies. Overall, I would like for her system to be as simple to use as possible and have best possible performance at this point without spending a lot of cash. I hope this posting finds you well. Look forward to hearing from you soon. JSass
Hi Dough, in reviewing the PC Pitstop recommendations for adding memory, I clicked on the link for "Crucial", recommended by Rob Cheng, CEO of PC Pitstop. This led me to a memory "analyzer" which proived me with the following information for the HP Pavilion 8560C: QUOTE: **************** Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 128MB per slot.* *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory. Standard Memory: 96MB removable Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1) Maximum Memory: 256MB USB Support: 1.x Compliant **************** END QUOTE Now, at the risk of asking a silly question, does the above mean that I can add a maximum of 256MB, assuming I remove the 96MB stick, or is there a work around that allows for more than a maximum of 256MB? Please advise. Thank you. JSass :blink:
Dough, hello. When running the Disc Defragmenter utility, it takes a really long time for it to run. In fact, I stopped it several times. Each time, the status stays at zero for some time, then goes to 1%, then back to 0%, then to 1% or 2% (maximum to this point 3%), then back to 0%. What do you think might be the issue here? Should I let it keep going, or is there something else I can do to defragment the disc? Please advise. Thank you. Jeff
Hi, I just received a message from Dough that he has been called away, so I am responding to your problem with defragging your hard drive. The situation you describe is fairly common and the easiest way to deal with it is to run the defragg from safe mode and see if this does the trick. To get to safe mode. (please read all these notes before starting the procedure) 1 Shut down your machine in the usual way 2 Reboot and immediately after the BIOS loads start tapping the (F8) key regularly, once per second, until a Menu appears. 3 Select Safe mode and tap Enter…follow onscreen directions 4 Safe mode loads a minimal set of drivers and you may well be able to sucessfully defrag from there. If you should get a "keyboard error" when trying to get into safe mode you will need to do the procedure all over again but this time commence tapping the F8 key approximately one second earlier. Let us know how you get on Regards paws
Paws / Dough, at this point, in Safe Mode, both the Scan Disk and Disc Defragmenter utilities do not work. Scan disc runs so far and then starts over. After so many times, it provides a message of sorts that Scan Disc has started over several times because either Windows or another program is writing to the disc. In the case of Disc Defragmenter, while the percentage previously mentioned is higher, it still starts over with a message to the effect of … starting over because disc contents has changed. Any thoughts? Thanks. JSass
Hi JSass,

Please Reboot into "Command Prompt only"
(same method of "tapping F8" as when you are preparing to boot into SAFE Mode, but select "Command Prompt only") - note: Do not select "SAFE Mode with Command Prompt"

When you get the command prompt, it will look like this:
C:\
Type SCANDISK
C:\SCANDISK
hit Enter

Scandisk should initiate.
When it is finished, Scandisk will ask if you want to View Log or Exit
Select Exit

you'll be back at a command prompt
C:\
type "win"
C:\win

Your machine will now boot into Normal mode.

If you continue to have "interference" with running SCANDISK while in "Command prompt only" then please Run a HJT.exe and post the Log over in the Malware Removal Forum.

also please Run a PCPitstop Full Test, and post the TechExpress back here into this Forum
http://www.pcpitstop.com

Best Regards
Hi JSass, What a nuisance scan disk and disk defragmenter can be in low resource machines that might not have had maintenance for quite some time. My first thought is along the lines of Paws recommendation, that applications were starting and interferring. However, since the error-repeat cycle persists in SAFE Mode, I'm inclined to speculate that it is a simply a matter that alot of errors are being encountered in Scan Disk, and that Disk Defrag is either encountering those same errors, or actually "changing the disk size" as it compacts and reorganizes the files and data, and Disk Defrag always starts over when it detects a change in disk size. I run into that situation with Disk Defrag on my Win98 machine after adding or deleting massive numbers of files or uninstalling/installing new applications. It just takes longer, and more repetitions of the process. After you follow the recommendation in my last post, please re-initiate Disk Defragmenter – If you have a ScreenSaver Running - Turn it off – If you have Power management running - turn it off – Next, close out any TSR functions via Program Manager Press Ctrl-alt-del at the same time This brings up Program Manager Selectively terminate every item in the list EXCEPT: Systray and Explorer Selectively terminate item by Highlighting the item and pressing End Program you will have to repeat this sequence - ctrl-alt-del then highlight program then End Program, until all programs are terminated except Systray and Explorer. Please be patient and persistant, it may take serveral restarts and quite a long time. Disk Defrag will automatically "restart" 10 times and then give you a "nuisance screen" that it has restarted 10 times. It will ask if you want to quit (or words to that effect) (sorry, I can't remember the exact wording) Don't quit Disk Defrag. Make the selection that causes Disk Defrag to continue. It will continue trying over and over again until it finishes.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI