This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Nc100 Fast Ethernet Nic

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Running Windows ME. Using Netscape 7.2 as browser over dialup (Netscape ISP). Regularly run SpyBot, AdAware, and Norton Antivirus 2003 all kept up-to-date.

Am now converting to Cable connection. I have a Linksys NC100 NIC for which I downloaded the WinME driver from Linksys. I turn off computer (Intel Pentium III 550Mhz), install card, as machine reboots it recognizs the NIC and I install driver. I then reboot the computer and it is at this point I start getting error messages:

Explorer has caused an error in
AIM has caused an error in
etc.

I can not go online and the only way I have found to correct problem is to boot into SAFE Mode, delete the NIC card from the system (Control Panel==> System==> Device Manager==>Network Adapters==>+==>Fast Ethernet Adapter==>Remove. Then I have to do a System Restore to the point before I installed the card. After reboot, the system again recognizes the card as new hardware and asks to install the drivers and I cancel the installation.

With the machine in its error state I have run HijackThis and the log follows.

Thanks for responding to this. I am an experienced retired IT professional from the old days of mainframe programming in assembly language and have a good deal of experience in PC maintenance since retirement without any formal training. I have been fixing my friends PCs for over 5 years now and this is the first time, for my own computer, I am at a total loss.

Michael

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:24:39 AM, on 3/13/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 SP1 (5.50.4522.1800)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\ADVTOOLS\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\SCANJET\PRECISIONSCANPRO\HPLAMP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZAPRO.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\PROGRAM DOWNLOADS\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ms101.mysearch.com/sa/srchlft.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ms101.mysearch.com/sa/srchlft.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://ms101.mysearch.com/sa/srchlft.html
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\z5m007un.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\ACROBAT\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: My Search BHO - {014DA6C1-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYSEARCH\BAR\1.BIN\S4BAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: PBlockHelper Class - {4115122B-85FF-4DD3-9515-F075BEDE5EB5} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE INTERNET SERVICE\NETSCAPE WEB ACCELERATOR\PBHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {014DA6C9-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Lamp] C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanPro\HPLamp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPROTECT] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\NPROTECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPROTECT] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\NPROTECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DynSite] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NOELD\DYNSITE FOR WINDOWS\DYNSITE.EXE
O4 - Startup: Resource Meter.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
O4 - Startup: Lotus SmartCenter 97.lnk = C:\Program Files\lotus\smartctr\smartctr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm Pro.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ATI MULTIMEDIA\TV\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Net2Phone - {4B30061A-5B39-11D3-80F8-0090276F843F} - C:\Program Files\Net2Phone\Net2fone.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Net2Phone - {4B30061A-5B39-11D3-80F8-0090276F843F} - C:\Program Files\Net2Phone\Net2fone.exe
O9 - Extra button: Share in Hello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELLO\PICASACAPTURE.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Share in H&ello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELLO\PICASACAPTURE.DLL
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://Download.Windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {CC05BC12-2AA2-4AC7-AC81-0E40F83B1ADF} (Live365Player Class) - http://www.live365.com/players/play365.cab
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15009/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15010/CTPID.cab
hi BMichaelY,

there are afew items in your log, but these wouldnt be causing the problem, have you checked FAQ/troublshooting at the linksys website?
————————–

first look in add/remove programs panel for these:
My Way, or My Search or MyWay Speed Bar
if present uninstall then reboot computer
————————–

scan with HJT, put a checkmark beside the items below, close all windows and click fix checked.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ms101.mysearch.com/sa/srchlft.html

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ms101.mysearch.com/sa/srchlft.html

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://ms101.mysearch.com/sa/srchlft.html

O2 - BHO: My Search BHO - {014DA6C1-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYSEARCH\BAR\1.BIN\S4BAR.DLL

now look in C:\program files and delete entire MYSEARCH folder
————————
shelf life
To: shelf life:

Thanks for taking the time to review my hijackthis log and for rersponding to my post.

there are a few items in your log, but these wouldnt be causing the problem, have you checked FAQ/troublshooting at the linksys website?

I took another look at the Linksys website and found nothing there.
————————–

first look in add/remove programs panel for these:
My Way, or My Search or MyWay Speed Bar
if present uninstall then reboot computer


Nothing there.
————————–

scan with HJT, put a checkmark beside the items below, close all windows and click fix checked.

Done!
—————————

now look in C:\program files and delete entire MYSEARCH folder

Deleted!
————————

As you said, it didn't do anything for my problem. The more I look for a solution, the more convinced I am that I have to migrate to Win XP.

BMichaelY

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI