This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

External Drive Problems

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am hoping that some one can help me out! I am getting so frustrated… I connected my knew Samsung 160 gig external hard drive. Plug and play recognized the drive, my driver is current, but when accessing the drive, it requests I submit a disk into the drive which is recognized as removable storage. I need to know how to get my system (HP computer, pentium 4 processor, xp) to correctly identify my drive and allow transfer of data. I have got about 45 gig of music I need to move to this new drive ASAP and it wont let me… Thank you so much in advance for any help, Claudia
Hi Claudia- Have you labeled the drive yet..? Try this: 1. Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group. 2. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK. 3. In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use. See if it recognizes the drive. Post back and let us know.
Also go into the device manager by right clicking my computer and selecting properties. Then go to the device manager tab and select device manager. Are there any devices with yellow (!) exclamation marks?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI