This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

External hard drive not recognized

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

helllo…

 

I just hooked up on aold internal hard drive into my new computer VIA an adapter. When I click on the H drive in my computer a window pops up asking me if I want to format the drive. I click cancel.. then this window pops up..

 

H:/ The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure all required file system driver are loaded and that the volume is not corrupt.

 

Any help with this matter would be great! I have much difficulty hooking up old hard drives. I would really love to explore this and back up much of it's data. Thank you!!!

 

TBH when you get that situation the fastest easiest solution is to get something like Slacko (slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso what I have) and burn it to disk, then boot to that disk and load the parameter's you require, then you should easily access the other drive, and all you do is copy over the data you want to keep to your other drive, once copied over, reboot to windows and the files should be where you placed them, then if they are you can just format the drive and regain some extra storage.

 

There is no need to worry about Slacko as it runs in your ram, it never touches the hard drive unless you specifically install it there, so once booted to the disk, you should see the available drives across the bottom left corner, click on them to "mount" the drive, from which you can view it's contents after it's mounted, so you would need to identify and mount the problem drive (it should be easy to spot just looking at each in turn), and mount the drive to save to, then just copy the files over, the only main point with this is you only need to click ONCE, to open a file\folder etc, otherwise it should be easy enough to follow, if I can use it that's saying something lol, hope this helps.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI