This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

External hard drive won't show up in my computer. Help ASAP!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

-Hi I have a wd 1 tb (model no -WDBBEP0010BBK) external drive and for over a month.. it has had problems showing up in my computer. It shows up in the device manager and disk management, but not in my computer so I can't access it.My PC no longer recognizes my external HDD. I unplugged the power, plugged it back in. Same with the USB cable. I unplugged EVERYTHING and left it that way for about 30 minutes. I plugged EVERYTHING back to my computer and turned it on.I plugged in the external HDD and windows had that little icon telling me it was installing drivers. I was excited to think that it finally would recognize my external HDD. The hard drive has not been dropped or hit in anyway. I have had it for about 1months and it has never given me any problems. i tried going into disk management but it said i got an I/O error. Anyone knows any solution? Please help me, because all my documents are stored on this external hard drive and i need them on this pc. I would greatly appreciate any help!…asap Thanks,
Have you tried running the utility from WD to see if that see's the drive, and more importantly can scan it for errors ? You say you can see it in disk management, try right clicking on it and see if initialise shows as an option, if it does see if that helps, but do NOT click anything to do with setting up, cancel anything to do with that incase it wants to format the drive, but it does ask so you have no need to panic unless you agree to it, it's not uncommon to get a message along the lines of the drive must be formatted before windows can see it. Depending on it's age, and warranty, you could try and remove the drive from the caddy (warranty may be voided by doing this so be aware and decide if you want to take that option), power down the system, and add the drive directly to the system, taking static caution and removing power for safety, then fire the system up and see if you can access the drive now, if you can then the caddy is faulty, or there is an issue with it's connection, see if this shows anything.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI