This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

[resolved-non-issue] Can't get back access to my USB External HD i

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, In November I bought a Seagate goflex drive to transfer some files from another computer. I no longer have access to that other computer - so the only copies of the files I need to transfer are on the goflex drive. When I used this first Seagate GoFlex drive on this laptop, I think it used drive letter G: in November Recently, in another thread here at WTT, I bought another external USB drive for backups of this laptop. It used G: the first time I plugged it in. It's a Seagate Portable extension drive. When I attempted to plug in the first Seagate drive (Goflex), Vista appeared to recognize it as an external hard drive, but it refused to assign it a drive letter. It wouldn't assign it G:, even though I didn't have the Portable extension drive plugged in. So then I plugged in the portable extension drive. It was assigned drive letter G: I looked at Seagates support pages. They say to use Disk Management, right click on the partition which is missing a letter, and select 'Change drive letter' or 'Add drive letter'. But when I right click on the partition, the option 'Change drive letter and paths' is disabled, so I can't perform that action for the GoFlex HD. Their support pages are less than helpful. I am able to safely remove the drive which has no drive letter. The Device Manager's "Disk drives" section shows both Seagate drives when I have both of them plugged into the 2 USB ports. 📎Seagate_External_HardDrives.png At some point, I thought, well, maybe if I reassign the Seage Portable HD a different letter, that would "free up" the "G letter for my GoFlex drive. So I did that, and safely removed both drives, rebooted. Plugged in the GoFlex drive - it didn't take the hint and start using the G: drive letter again. How do I get access to the GoFlex drive, without losing access to the Portable drive? I assume my data is still on the GoFlex drive? This sort of thing can drive a person crazy! :wacko: Thank you! Linda
Nevermind. I figured it out. It was the 3rd Seagate drive I bought - for the MacBook, which of course is not in NTFS format. Please delete or close this thread. Sorry to waste your time :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI