This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Search Messed Up

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have run spybot s&d, NAV, Trend online, cwshredder, adaware, asquared, and microsofts antispyware. All except maantispyware show clean. In ms's antispyware it shows that I have IETray(browser hyjacker) and reccomends that I quarantine it. When I do so, it messes up my search"icon" in IE6. I am sending my hjt log so see if there is something there that can be fixed. I thank you for your help in this matter. David

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:05:46 PM, on 2/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MMKeybd.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Turtle Beach\Santa Cruz\Drivers\WDM\TbcTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Fast.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Traymon.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\OSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.msn.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellTouch] C:\WINDOWS\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Openwares LiveUpdate] C:\Program Files\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TraySantaCruz] C:\Program Files\Turtle Beach\Santa Cruz\Drivers\WDM\TbcTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Startup: Shortcut to Money Express.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Printkey2000.lnk = C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Highlight - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Links List - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\urllist.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Web Search - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\selsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Encarta &Definition - http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dic…kDictionary.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: I&mages List - C:\WINDOWS\Web\imglist.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Frame in &New Window - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\frm2new.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Zoom &In - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\zoomin.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Zoom O&ut - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\zoomout.htm
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: eBay - Homepage - {EF79EAC5-3452-4E02-B8BD-BA4C89F1AC7A} - C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Ebay\Ebay.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://chat.msn.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.roxio.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://cleanup.stevengould.org
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=34738&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {29C13B62-B9F7-4CD3-8CEF-0A58A1A99441} - http://sc.communities.msn.com/controls/chat/msnchat41.cab
O16 - DPF: {3AF4DACE-36ED-42EF-9DFC-ADC34DA30CFF} (PatchInstaller.Installer) - file://D:\content\include\XPPatchInstaller.CAB
O16 - DPF: {544EB377-350A-4295-9BEB-EAB8392E09C6} (MSN Money Charting) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v13/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/25f6d07633b111…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E50ED2D-0791-4A2E-B0C1-F1AF044CE3F7} (Answer Suite System Profiler) - http://daltrnsql.attenza.com/ap/bin/SystemProfiler.cab
O16 - DPF: {71CA4411-45EC-4608-B9D7-6D4B6A9D1BB4} (Attenza System Profiler) - http://service.dell.com/dell/SystemProfiler.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7A32634B-029C-4836-A023-528983982A49} - http://sc.communities.msn.com/controls/chat/msnchat42.cab
O16 - DPF: {93B32602-A185-498B-9EA2-0518EBE72DE3} (MSN Money Portfolio Manager) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v13/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {94B82441-A413-4E43-8422-D49930E69764} (TLIEFlashObj Class) - https://webchat.dell.com/Media/VisitorChat/TLIEFlash.CAB
O16 - DPF: {963BE66B-121D-4E6C-BF9F-1A774D9A2E41} (MSN Money Charting) - http://moneycentral.msn.com/cabs/pmupdate.exe
O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {AA59BA6E-B44F-4514-AB3C-0C1DD2306FC3} (MSN Money Charting) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v12/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {CF1A5BDE-732F-49B7-AD1F-51010E37F9EB} (MSN Money Portfolio Manager) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v12/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {DC765522-D5BE-49C9-AF5F-8C715A44BA28} (MS Investor Ticker) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v9.5/ticker.cab
O16 - DPF: {DED22F57-FEE2-11D0-953B-00C04FD9152D} (CarPoint Auto-Pricer Control) - http://carpoint.msn.com/components/ocx/aut…/autopricer.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF0DBA6F-43CE-4B26-9808-2AB38FA0DB29} (MSN Money Ticker) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v13/ticker.cab
O16 - DPF: {F554B9AB-E6C9-4FA6-BFE7-B3CB24AD5027} - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v10/investor.cab
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/bin/msnchat45.cab
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Hello petman, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. If you are still looking for help, I will see what I can do. I am a little puzzled about this one also. Do you have a complete name for this item? Could you post that?
I have found a little information about the item: IETray http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/IETray.html and http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/resea…ter/IETray.html but I do not see the item in this log. I will remove what I see and send it back to you to complete these instructions and see if you can provide any additional information.

petman, do you know what these items are? If you don't know what they are we will remove them. I see them being removed in other logs.
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Highlight - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Links List - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\urllist.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Web Search - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\selsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: I&mages List - C:\WINDOWS\Web\imglist.htm
I also want to point out that I am removing one hostile 016 - DPF called Netster. When you are in that area, if you are comfortable doing so, you may remove any 016 item you do not recognize or no longer use. These ActiveX plugins would be returned if you every visit that website again.

Let's do this, SCAN with HijackThis and check each of these line items:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
(if you do not know them)
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Highlight - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Links List - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\urllist.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Web Search - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\selsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: I&mages List - C:\WINDOWS\Web\imglist.htm
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://chat.msn.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.roxio.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://cleanup.stevengould.org
(Not sure you should allow anthing in your trusted zone, gives access to the complete computer)
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/25f6d07633b111…ip/RdxIE601.cab
-Netster


Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows then click on "Fix Checked"
Run clean manager then remove anything windows locates, use the following links to stay in this thread, post a new log with your feedback. See if you can tell me the exact name of the item you are quarantining at the suggestion of ms's antispyware.
I wish also to ask you not to create multiple posts as you have, adds to confusion and often causes wasted and duplicated efforts. Thanks

When replying to your topic, please use the
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/style_images/1/t_reply.gif
button NOT the
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/style_images/1/t_new.gif
button.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
PSKelly,
Thanks for the reply. I am sorry about the double posting. After I posted the second time I thought that I could delete the first posting but found that I was not able to do it.
The four 08 items were a legacy from MS. They were an add in for IE5. I have removed them as instructed since I never used them anyway. I also removed all of the rest of your suggestions and rebooted. Ran MS's antispyware and it still found the IETRAY problem, yet I can not find any evidence or problems caused by it on my machine.
Here is what MS Antispyware has to say about the IETRAY:

Detected Threats

IETray Browser Modifier more information…
Details: IETray is an Internet Explorer browser helper object that includes a side search bar.
Status: Ignored
High threat - High risk threats typically are remotely exploitable vulnerabilities, which can lead to system compromise. Successful exploitation does not normally require any interaction. May open up communication ports, use polymorphic tactics, stealth installations, and/or anti-spy counter measures. May us a security flaw in the operating system to gain access to your computer.

Infected registry keys/values detected
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\&define
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\&define contexts 17

This was run AFTER I applied the fixes that you suggested. If I quarantine it as MS wants, or remove it, then my "searchbutton" does not work properly. Could this be a false reading?
The only thing that I didn't do was to run clean manager…..could not locate it to run it.
Here is my new HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 5:45:52 AM, on 2/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MMKeybd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Fast.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Turtle Beach\Santa Cruz\Drivers\WDM\TbcTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Traymon.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\OSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.msn.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellTouch] C:\WINDOWS\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Openwares LiveUpdate] C:\Program Files\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TraySantaCruz] C:\Program Files\Turtle Beach\Santa Cruz\Drivers\WDM\TbcTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Startup: Shortcut to Money Express.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Printkey2000.lnk = C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Encarta &Definition - http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dic…kDictionary.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: eBay - Homepage - {EF79EAC5-3452-4E02-B8BD-BA4C89F1AC7A} - C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Ebay\Ebay.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=34738&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {29C13B62-B9F7-4CD3-8CEF-0A58A1A99441} - http://sc.communities.msn.com/controls/chat/msnchat41.cab
O16 - DPF: {3AF4DACE-36ED-42EF-9DFC-ADC34DA30CFF} (PatchInstaller.Installer) - file://D:\content\include\XPPatchInstaller.CAB
O16 - DPF: {544EB377-350A-4295-9BEB-EAB8392E09C6} (MSN Money Charting) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v13/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {6E50ED2D-0791-4A2E-B0C1-F1AF044CE3F7} (Answer Suite System Profiler) - http://daltrnsql.attenza.com/ap/bin/SystemProfiler.cab
O16 - DPF: {71CA4411-45EC-4608-B9D7-6D4B6A9D1BB4} (Attenza System Profiler) - http://service.dell.com/dell/SystemProfiler.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7A32634B-029C-4836-A023-528983982A49} - http://sc.communities.msn.com/controls/chat/msnchat42.cab
O16 - DPF: {93B32602-A185-498B-9EA2-0518EBE72DE3} (MSN Money Portfolio Manager) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v13/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {94B82441-A413-4E43-8422-D49930E69764} (TLIEFlashObj Class) - https://webchat.dell.com/Media/VisitorChat/TLIEFlash.CAB
O16 - DPF: {963BE66B-121D-4E6C-BF9F-1A774D9A2E41} (MSN Money Charting) - http://moneycentral.msn.com/cabs/pmupdate.exe
O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {AA59BA6E-B44F-4514-AB3C-0C1DD2306FC3} (MSN Money Charting) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v12/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {CF1A5BDE-732F-49B7-AD1F-51010E37F9EB} (MSN Money Portfolio Manager) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v12/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {DC765522-D5BE-49C9-AF5F-8C715A44BA28} (MS Investor Ticker) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v9.5/ticker.cab
O16 - DPF: {DED22F57-FEE2-11D0-953B-00C04FD9152D} (CarPoint Auto-Pricer Control) - http://carpoint.msn.com/components/ocx/aut…/autopricer.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF0DBA6F-43CE-4B26-9808-2AB38FA0DB29} (MSN Money Ticker) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v13/ticker.cab
O16 - DPF: {F554B9AB-E6C9-4FA6-BFE7-B3CB24AD5027} - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v10/investor.cab
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/bin/msnchat45.cab
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Thanks again for you expertise, time and trouble……David
Hello David,

This was run AFTER I applied the fixes that you suggested. If I quarantine it as MS wants, or remove it, then my "searchbutton" does not work properly. Could this be a false reading?


You are no doubt aware the Microsoft product is, as far as I know, still in the Beta. I have heard and read about false-postive reports from it that would have to be considered with an experimental product. It does appear what is being identified is certainly a legitimate part of your Operating System. The software you mention as running at the beginning of your first post not identifing the item should be a clue. I personally run Ad-aware and Spybot myself and if they were updated they would ID a BHO that was malware, even if they could not remove it. The CWShredder is only going to find CoolWebSearch, and I don't use the others except on occasion. I suggest you remove or turn off the Microsoft Beta software until it has been tested and proven safe. I understand it will no longer be free at that point. Here is some very recent information about the product from C/Net.

http://news.com.com/Trojan+attacks+Microso…top&tag=nl.e433

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+launches+ant….html?tag=st.rn

The only thing that I didn't do was to run clean manager…..could not locate it to run it.

Clean Like this: Start, Run type "cleanmgr" without the quotes then ok. Check and remove anything windows locates.

Besides that your logfile looks clean. I have some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay that way.

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

I will leave the thread open for a few days, it might be a good idea to turn off the Microsoft Beta product, use the computer as normal using Ad-aware and Spybot updated and configured as in these tutorials:
Spybot:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial43.html
Ad-aware:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial48.html

If you have no issues, then we will know it was the Beta product. good luck and safe surfing.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
PSKelly, I have done as you suggested and divested my machine of MS's beta. I feel better knowing that it was a false positive. Thanks for you time and help in resolving this matter…..and yes, I DO thank a teacher AND the soldiers that have made our freedoms possible. David
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI