Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 930

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

i have had a recurring problem with my pc freezing. i ran spybot and adaware, rebooted, ran hjt and posted log. previously i have reinstalled operating system, replaced hd, eventually took computer to the co that takes care of my office syst, they claimed there was nothing wrong with the pc, that i had not installed win2k properly. i didn't really like their explanation. but for 3-4 wks no freezing problem. then it started up again. this problem has persisted from win me, reformat and install win2k, then new hd etc. so what i am thinking is its not software, maybe its that my 3 yr old compaq has a hardware prob... hope its ok to have posted this here. thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 930

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

i am starting to think that it is hardware. the fan makes a very quiet whine, i can hear an ever so slight change in the noise it makes at the moment that things freeze. the first time i thought i was nuts. the second time i heard it, sure enough, had frozen. should i pull out the parts i want to keep and order a new machine or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to hunt down the problem? thanks again.

#3 Guest_DragonsBreath_*

Guest_DragonsBreath_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2004 - 11:12 PM

Not knowing whether this is a laptop or desktop, I would check on overheating. Open the case and blow out, with compressed air that you can buy from any computer store, any dust bunnies that may be residing inside your case, power supply and fan. Next I would make sure that the fan is not blocked. I know that in some cases the fan is not exactly adequate for the amount of heat that can be produced inside. Adding a second fan that blows opposite, either in/out depending on the factory fan's out/in. This way there is a positive air flow going on inside the case. Unfortunately if this has been going on for some time it is possible the processor or motherboard have been affected. The final thing you mentioned that the fan seems to change in pitch, you might have to check out the power supply to make sure it is not losing any of its wattage.