This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer freezing

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, Please help. My computer (Compaq Presario, XP SP 3) keeps completely freezing. The computer is completely frozen and the only thing I can do is a hard-boot. It has been doing this for a about two weeks. I think that I also got the Blue Screen a couple times before this started. I didn't make any changes that I can remember just prior to this problem. I've tried: - chkdsk /c and it seemed ok - anti-malware (Ad-Aware) and got nothing - Avast! but it freezes part way through - system restore Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :(
There is a link on PCPitStop's web site about the 3D video tests problem.

However, at this point, I don't think it is necessary to run the tests, although I praise you for reading directions and doing everything you can to get the best support.

In your particular case I would say this is almost definitely a hardware issue. What you haven't told us is the details about your computer such as if it is a laptop or desktop, model, etc.

I would suggest that you start by reading this thread: http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_Test_Mem…ms_t103823.html

This is an excellent place to start to eliminate hardware issues. Please read the thread, make the windows memory diagnostic CD on a good computer (or on the bad one if you get enough time before lock ups). Start the memory diagnostic, pop the cover on your PC (hopefully it is a desktop and not a laptop, please let me know) and take a look inside. Follow the instructions about lightly tapping on components to check for bad connections. While you are in there, verify the case is clean, and that cooling fans and heatsinks are not clogged from moving air through.

Based on how often your computer locks up, please allow the memory diagnostic to run long enough (an hour? two hours?) to determine if your computer also locks up while running the memory diagnostic. This way you can determine if it is a hardware issue (it does lock up with memory diagnostic), or a software issue (it does not lock up with memory diagnostic).

The most likely two causes of your problem are probably heat due to a dirty case, or a loose connection.

While you have your case open, inspect for leaking capacitors which are common on older machines and will cause a lot of issues.

EDIT: After the above tests, I would also like you to re-run the chkdsk command. But this time, use the command: chkdsk /r Be patient while it checks for bad clusters (bad sectors) on your hard drive. Messages about bad clusters is a good sign of a failing hard drive.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It's a desktop Compaq Presario SR1130NX.

I think you may be right about it being a hardware issue. I can't get either of my burners to work to make the boot disk. The internal burner is a LITE-ON DVD+RW SOHW-802S and the external is Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2 USB Device. When I try to access either on, I get an "E:/ is not accessible. Incorrect function." error.
I'm trying to find a computer to make the CD. In the mean time I ran the chkdsk/r and it seemed fine. I also removed the side panel and cleaned all the dust from inside the computer. Also unplugged and replugged the internal CD drive to no avail. So I just unplugged it and that seems to have stopped the freezing. But I'm not counting on it. All capacitors look ok. Anything else i should do/try until I get the CD made? Thanks!
Sorry. Been crazy busy and haven't been able to get to a computer to make the disk. Hopefully this weekend. However, since I disconnected the internal CD drives it hasn't frozen.
Ok, I finally ran the memory test. I got lots of errors. Tried removing and replugging the RAM but still get errors. I'm thinking about just buying new. What do you think? Also my CD drives are acting up. I had to reconnect the drives but they don't always show in my system when I click "My Computer". The computer hasn't frozen since I disconnected the drives. I this just coincidence? Thanks!
Were the errors spread across both (or more) memory DIMMs? If they were localized to a fairly small address range then replacing a single DIMM may be all that's needed.
I'm not sure if I'm following you here. I didn't really pay much attention to the error locations. But, I only have a single 512M card. Does that answer your question? Thanks!
Unless the memory diagnostic is generating errors for some other reason, which I have only seen once on an old, old Win 98 machine, it is telling you that your memory module is bad. This is going to be the source of endless problems. Its actually kind of dangerous to use your computer like this because it can cause all kinds of corruption to your files and ultimately leave your computer in a non useable state. You should get that memory module replaced asap. While you are at it, upgrade to at least 1GB (2 x 512MB) and your system will run much better. Run the memory diagnostic again to test any new memory that you install.
Thanks! I'll do that. Would this be the source of problems with my cd drives? They don't always show on my system when I click "My Computer" Thanks
Defective ram (memory) can cause just about any error you can think of, but it's also possible your drive is going bad.

If replacing the memory doesn't resolve that, try this fix from the Doug Knox site: xp_cd_dvd_fix. If that doesn't fix it then replace the drive.
Ok, I tried new RAM. I upgraded to 1Gb and ran the memory test on the new RAM. I got errors on the LRAND and Stride6 tests. That shouldn't happen right? Also My computer kept crashing. I got numerous Blue Screens of Death and application errors such as "services.exe" the memory could not be written. I swapped the old RAM back and it's at least functional, sort of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
New ram should not yield any errors during a memory test. Are you sure you have the correct ram? If you are, then you should get replacements from wherever you purchased it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI