This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Freezes Up

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

 

I am working on my father's PC and it will just freeze up without any warning where the mouse and keyboard stop working and I have to reboot.  No viruses or malware found, so this is a system issue and I am not sure if this system can be fixed or if it's time to upgrade.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Hello mstein66,

 

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Nothing untoward showing in Speccy other than it is a rather old system to be running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Installation Date: 5/12/2017 2:13:23 PM.

 

Couple of questions if I may;

 

What OS was on the computer previous to Windows 10.

 

Was Windows 10 a clean install or an in place upgrade.

 

After Windows 10 was installed, were the latest available motherboard drivers installed and starting with the chipset drivers first.

 

You are welcome btw  :)

Ya, I went through that folder and every single folder is empty.  My father said he bought it with WIN10; could this been created when I did a Reset?

Thanks for the heads up Satchfan  :thumbup:

 

Hello mstein66,

 

Will use quotes to address a couple of observations;

 

When he bought it, it had WIN 10 already installed; this issue of it freezing just started last week.

 

 

Using the MB specs the Google results suggest that the computer is an Asus Essentio CM5671-05 as shown here is that correct.

 

Ya, I went through that folder and every single folder is empty.  My father said he bought it with WIN10; could this been created when I did a Reset?

 

 

Speccy is showing that Windows 10 64-bit Pro was installed on 5/12/2017 2:13:23 PM

 

Please see the ASUS info here which details what happens when you use the Windows 10 reset option, Note the N/A for Windows 7->Windows 10.

 

After Windows 10 was installed, were the latest available motherboard drivers installed and starting with the chipset drivers first.

 

 

Looks like you may need to install the latest available MB drivers starting with the chipset drivers first, if the computer is an Asus Essentio CM5671-05 we will need to see what the latest drivers are that they provide.

Hello,

 

Yes, that is the correct operating system, and I thought he had this system upgraded to WIN10, but he is 78 years old and his memory isn't the sharpest as it once was, so thanks for looking this up. 

 

I am assuming the drivers were never updated after the upgrade to WIN10 from WIN7 and from the ASUS upgrade detail link, and me doing the reset; it looks like we will need to update the drivers, etc.  Please provide what is needed and tks again for the assistance!

Hello mstein66,

 

Windows 10 gets along fine with most modern hardware using its own generic drivers as long as the MBs chipset drivers are installed first, the latest chipset drivers available for the Asus Essentio CM5671-05  are for Windows 7 so would suggest that you try installing them to begin with, download from here be sure to create a new restore point first please.

 

You are welcome btw  :)

Hello,

 

So I went to the link and their is only one chipset, and it is dated 2010/02/02; my father said he purchased this after 2010, and he recalls now that it did have WIN7 and he had the option to upgrade to WIN10, ha - the memory kicked in…

 

Now, I have been running this PC for the last couple of days; not letting it turn off, etc. and it has not froze up; with all this info, I do not think this chipset is needed, but wanted to make sure with you first, plus the Device Manager is showing no issues as well?

 

EDITED:  After reading this article (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/209590-30-which-chipset-driver-version-have) I have downloaded the chipset, and did a restore point, and installed it and have the version showing in regedit; so we are good!

 

EDITED 2: I see the BIOS Version/Date is American Megatrends Inc. 0305, 4/16/2010, and the website shows version 0308, but not sure about updating and wanted your input?
 

Hello mstein66,

 

Update and edit info acknowledged  :thumbup:

 

If the computer now appears to be stable I would only create a new restore point for the new stable settings and steer clear of any BIOS updates, updating the BIOS is always a last resort unless the BIOS update was specifically released to address a known issue + updating the BIOS can sometimes go wrong and end up leaving you with a hosed MB.

Ya, I have heard both side on the BIOS; you should if a new one is release and don't, as you stated…

 

I appreciate the help and this ticket can be closed – tks again!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI