Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Strange Files In Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 12:34 PM

Hi all - Windows ME I have recently noticed that there are some unusual files showing up in the Windows folder. Some are TMP files, some are fft files and others vary, such as IC06172.TMP - 0KB - TMP File, and these ALL have the MS Access icon, but, are not related to Access. Some of the others are; these have regular windows type icons HPDJ00000.PDL - 1408KB - PDL File (the PDL files range from this to 5,000+ KB) HPDJ00000.IDX - 1KB - IDX File HPDJ00000.001 - 714KB - 001 File I have an HP G55 DeskJet all in printer unit, but, these files all seem to be from 10/05/03 thru yesterday. Not every day, but, it seems to be a file for each day I used the printer. Can't seem to get much out of HP on these either. I have not seen these types of files here before, and, even stranger, these same files are being mirrored in the Programs Files folder...??? It appears that something has started to create backup or log files for some reason, in both folders. What...or why, I have no idea. I tried to open a couple of these files in Notepad, as they have the Notepad icon on them, but, it is all just squares and characters. I have some programs that may create log or backup files, such as SpyBot, Adaware, SpywareBlaster, AVG, AoneAlarm, but, I have had them for a while and never noticed these odd files before. I would assume that the files they create would be posted to their specific folders, not the Windows or Program Files. I would truly appreciate any suggestions or a website reference that might shed some light on any of these files so I might have an idea of where to try and troubleshoot their source. Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 mjc

mjc

-

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 03:22 PM

Temporary files can be written just about anywhere, not just the TEMP folder. Often times, especially when dealing with printer related files, they will end up where ever the drivers are, which is often the system folders.... The PDL file could be a Printshop related file...do you have it installed? The IDX is some sort of index file...... Most, if not all, of these are nothing to worry about, except they are 'clutter'. some of the tmp files could be problematic but more often than not they are legit. FFTs are definitely Office related....
I hope it wan't my turn to refill te coffe pot...

Posted Image

#3 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 06:03 PM

Temporary files can be written just about anywhere, not just the TEMP folder.

Often times, especially when dealing with printer related files, they will end up where ever the drivers are, which is often the system folders....

The PDL file could be a Printshop related file...do you have it installed?

The IDX is some sort of index file......

Most, if not all, of these are nothing to worry about, except they are 'clutter'. some of the tmp files could be problematic but more often than not they are legit.

FFTs are definitely Office related....

Hi!

Thank you for the information. I just find it odd that these are just cropping up all of a sudden. They have not been there before, and that they are duplicated in the two folders. I can see one folder, but, two is a bit strange.

I'll just delete them for now and see what happens.

Happy New Year!
Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

#4 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:54 AM

In this case, the .PDL files are probably Page Descriptiond Language print spooler files, that are not being cleaned up when printing is finished. Have you altered any printer settings recently?
I didn't believe in reincarnation last time either!

#5 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 05:23 PM

In this case, the .PDL files are probably Page Descriptiond Language print spooler files, that are not being cleaned up when printing is finished.

Have you altered any printer settings recently?

Hi dave38!

No, I have not made any recent changes for settings or anything else regarding the printer. However, now and then when I try to print something from OE the printer will hang and not print the document. Even when I delete or purge the print job, the printer will continues to hang with the document still displayed in the lineup. Sometimes I have to reboot to get the printer to clear. This only happens now and then, just when I try to print from OE. Could the hangups be causing these types of .PDL files? This print hangup problem has been happening for a while, yet these .PDL files have just started showing up in the Windows and Program Files folders.

Thank you for your time and assistance, I really appreciate it.

#6 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:37 PM

Could the hangups be causing these types of .PDL files?

Could well be that. While I like HP printers, and consider their drivers good, sometimes one or the other of mine will do this. Don't know why, and HP support don't either!
Just delete the files to recycle bin. If no ill effects after a few days, they can be removed completely.
I didn't believe in reincarnation last time either!

#7 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 02:32 PM

Could the hangups be causing these types of .PDL files?

Could well be that. While I like HP printers, and consider their drivers good, sometimes one or the other of mine will do this. Don't know why, and HP support don't either!
Just delete the files to recycle bin. If no ill effects after a few days, they can be removed completely.

Hi dave38!

Will do. Never saw them before these past couple weeks, but, maybe something is causing them to be generated for some reason. Strange about them being put into two separate folders at the same time though. On well....if there is no harm done, then I guess I won't disturb HAL at this point. It may decided to just trash my system if it wakes up on the wrong side of the box. :oops:

Thanks for all your help!