This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Why does a double of my MS Word files appear when I op

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I'm not sure if it's a virus or something like that, but my roommate just used my laptop and suddenly now I'm seeing doubles of my MS doc files whenever I open them.

For example, I open the file xyzabc.doc. A translucent looking icon appears in the folder the original file's from. It looks sorta like my file, but says ~$xabc.doc. I have Nod32 and Norton 2009 and neither one detected a threat. I'm also seeing desktop.ini in every folder I open - and on my desktop. The desktop.ini is supposed to be something you can hide or show, but what is with the '~$…doc' files?

Is it a virus?
Hi there :)

The ~$xabc.doc files you are seeing are files created by MS Word when you are working on a document. These are used as backups and restore files - e.g. if something goes wrong, Word crashes and you lose your work, next time you open Word it can restore the work you lost from these files. They are perfectly legit.

Good question though :thumbup:

Hope that helps.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI