This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Suspicious Files

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I found some strange files and a few problems on my PC that I'm hoping someone can help me with….. First, I have about 8 Folders listed under C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.. with names like, 5GCVTLWL and Property Sheets that list 0 Bytes 0 Files 0 Folders. When I open any of these folders I find items, listed as "File" under Type, ranging in size from 50KB to 183KB, all created on either 1/18/05 or 1/21/05, all with extremely long names that actually begin with locations within Ebay that I had either searched or saved as a Favorite (for example Decorative_Collectibles_Hummel_…..) followed by W0QQ then a 15" monitors worth of letters and numbers. The Properties Sheets are all unaccessible no matter what I do I can't delete these items. I booted in Safe Mode and tried to delete them but No Luck. Any Suggestions? Second, I can't get the following option to stay on - in my Explorer Window, Tools, Folder Options, View, Display the Full Path in Title Bar. If I check the box and click Apply (without closing the Tools menu) it works but when I click OK my screens refresh and the full path is no longer showing when I open the Folder Options menu the box is no longer checked! I'm thinking this might be a switch setting but not sure what the switch is or what executable it's added to! I'm not certain that anyone is still accessing my PC but I'm certain someone was and would like to know they can't come back! I can't get the latest msiexec working on my PC. I tried all the posted fixes and no luck! And last but not least does anyone know what sort of text should be included within files like netdde, dmadmin, or lsass.exe? I ran Security Task Manager and some of the Text within these system files looks extremely suspisious.. like successful Domain Controller upgrade, logon scripts successfully moved, new shares being created and the list goes on. (I run Windows 2000 Advance Server but in a stand alone environment). Would any of these or other system files contain the info needed to open a "backdoor" on my PC? Thanks
Can anyone help me with the files I mentioned in my above post??? I realize why they have such extremely LONG names; it makes it difficult to use DOS commands, like write to view them. I think, I use to know how to view these files but can't remember how. I'm going to use CCleaner in another attempt to delete them, but before I do I would like to see what info they contain. I Don't Want to Open them and so far haven't been able to and when I use the write command, dos executes the command before I have a chance to enter the files full name, and returns a message stating "File not found. Anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI