Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

H2rc053.tmp And H2r7196.tmp Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

Hi all - WinME I have a bunch of TMP files in the C:\Windows\TEMP folder, and I have no clue what they are for, how, why or by what they are being generated. :scratch: I have tried to find out from the web, WinME, anywhere. I tried checking the properties and there is nothing there. They all have the NotePad icon, and when I open them they are all empty, all are 0 KB. There are between 20-30 generated every day. <_< Some are like h2rc053.TMP, others are h2r7196 (note one has 3 letters, and the other 5 numbers) There are more like the h2rc053 than the other. They do not delete when the machine is shut down, or reboot, and although they are empty, they build up by the hundreds by the end of the week. It may well be they are non-threatening, but, it is sort of like someone telling me that the spider on the end of my nose is a good kind of spider. :huh: To me, a spider is a spider, and I don't really want to wait and do a friend/foe or gender check to see of it's ok for it to sit on the end of my nose.....where I can see it....and know it is there. :blink: The only spider allowed to live in my house is a dead one! :thumbdown: So, I'd really like to find out what species this file is, just in case. :unsure: Any information or suggestions as to where I might be able to find out more about these files would be very much appreciated. Best regards, Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 cnm

cnm

-

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:15 PM

Windows makes a lot of temporary files - you can just delete any that are more than a day or two old (assuming you reboot every day).
Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005 Posted Image
The Boot camp at Spywareinfo.com

#3 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:08 AM

Hi CNM, Thank you very much for the information. I truly appreciate it. I don't like to delete things unless I am sure they are not necessar. That is why I ask first. :) Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.