This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

What are obu1A.tmp, obu1B.tmp files in C:\WINDOWS\temp? [Clo

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

On my Windows XP PC, something creates an obu*.tmp file every time I start or restart the system. I have Kaskersky Internet Security installed. These files accumulate in the C:\WINDOWS\temp folder. They have file names such as obu1A.tmp, obu1B.tmp, obu1C.tmp, obu1D.tmp, obu18.tmp, obu19.tmp, obu20.tmp, and so on. File sizes are very large; anywhere from 1+GB to 4+GB. Before I discovered their existence, they filled about 60GB of disk space and I was getting Low Disk Space alerts. I've searched the internet and I've found no clues as to what software creates these files or what they are. I've researched all Kaspersky settings on my system and found no references to these type of files. I assume these are some kind of online backup file but not sure. Now when I start or restart the system, I delete any obu*.tmp files created in pervious sessions.

So, I want to find out what are these files obu*.tmp and what creates them?

I hope somebody can help.

If there is a better forum on whatthetech for this question, please let me know.

:welcome:

 

I moved your post to the malware removal forum, from what I can find those temp files are pointing to obupdate.exe which is leaning towards dangerous

 

Lets run Malwarebytes and see what it finds and removes

 

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware  TO YOUR DESKTOP
 
  • Windows XP : Double click on the icon to run it.
  • Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8 : Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
  •  
    [external image: MBAM_zpsr1ew7hep.png]
     
    • On the Dashboard click on Update Now
    • Go to the Setting Tab
    • Under Setting go to Detection and Protection
    • Under PUP and PUM make sure both are set to show Treat Detections as Malware
    • Go to Advanced setting and make sure Automatically Quarantine Detected Items is checked
    • Then on the Dashboard click on Scan
    • Make sure to select THREAT SCAN
    • Then click on Scan
    • When the scan is finished and the log pops up…select Copy to Clipboard
    • Please paste the log back into this thread for review
    • Exit Malwarebytes
    • To Ken545. Yes I am still here. I downloaded the malwarebytes software you mentioned. However, when I tried to start the exe file on my desktop, the following error message displayed:

       

      ___

      Mban.exe Application Error

       

      The application failed to initiate properly (0cx000001d). Click OK to terminate the application.

       

      OK

      ___

       

      It looks like my XP PC might have more than on problem.

       

      Do you have any idea what this error message means?

       

      It's very frustrating.

       

      Thanks.

       

      jhquery

      Try installing and running  Malwarebytes in Safemode

       

       
      To Enter Safemode
      • Go to  Start> Shut off your Computer> Restart
      • As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
      •   this will bring up a menu.
      • Use the  Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to  Safemode with Networking
      • Then press the  Enter Key on your Keyboard
      • Tutorial if you need it How to boot into Safemode

        Ask AI

        AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

        Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI