With WinXP mostly because they do not have the updates to SP1 (or SP2) and then the inability when asked to update to do so.
With the others you can't tell, as M$ does not stop updates for them.
Thats only partially a indicator, as I know several gamers like myself that will not go to SP-2 because of issues with computer operation. My computer was (DOA 3 days ago from cpu fan, no monitor turned it off even at lowest temp!) borderline for Half Life 2 A Athalon XP 2000 with 256Mb DDR and a Gforce 256Mb vid card it did pretty good with SP-1. With SP-2 no way. It made it totally unplayable and made many things go haywire. I tried doing it a good 6 times too…. I chalk it up to a bad combo of hardware, VIA on a MSI KT3 Ultra 2 and AMD.
But I've heard other mixes also having difficulties… Just informing in case that someone may be legal so no one decides otherwise… I like to stay on the safe side, rather the sorry one
I'm pretty new here and was reading the rules/dealing with public section and since I've been on the confused and in the dark side I know the feeling. A lot of the people are very likely to be in a "agressive" frame of mind, its so frustrating to be there, your Expensive toy is messed up and it sometimes seems like it will never be right….
That feeling is what has made me come here. I always try to lend a hand to people who are having trouble. The more you know the easier it is to do, something I learned many years ago… I hate that frustrated feeling, so if I can ease it for someone else it makes me feel really good… Aloha, LoLo
Very often you will simply loose the thread when you ask them to update if it is an ilegal copy while somebody with a valid answer will tell you why they can or will not upgrade. Had a number of cases like that.
E
Some time back, I was reading a log (I don't think I responded to it) which had some Trojaned service running which after some research, it seemed it might have been due to a pirated copy of the OS. A shame I can't recall any more than this.
Anyways, one problem that could arise is that the user has inadvertently purchased a computer that has an illegal copy of the OS installed. If the case, it isn't their fault. I think though, that there might be this deal that MS does where (maybe if they are given details of where the system was purchased) they will offer a legitimate copy of the disk at a reduced price.
Either way, if there is any evidence, I think the best action would be to say something along the lines of…
"It seems your software may not be legitimate. If the case, we urge that you acquire a valid copy of such. If you knowingly use pirated software and we have evidence of this, we cannot support you in diagnosing and remedying any problems that the software suffers (in the case of the OS, no support at all can be offered)".
"It seems your software may not be legitimate. If the case, we urge that you acquire a valid copy of such. If you knowingly use pirated software and we have evidence of this, we cannot support you in diagnosing and remedying any problems that the software uses (in the case of the OS, no support at all can be offered)".
When I see they need M$ updates, I'll suggest they do the updates and if the log still shows it's not updated, I don't mention it again. I'm here to help get rid of the bad guys. It's none of my business if there programs are legit or not.
The thing is, the only way to really know is by the user admitting so, which they sometimes do. At CastleCops, if someone wants help with NAV and in the same breath mention it's a cracked copy, the thread will be locked in no time
As for the SP version, other factors, such as time may hinder the progress of the Windows Update…so I wouldn't say that's a sign of an illegal OS.
Well I understand what you're saying. I don't think anyone should have illegal copies either, but as far as I'm concerned, that's not what we're here for. I'm here to kill the bad guys.
One can see what M$ is doing anyway. How much longer do you think that bogus OS is going to keep working without updates?
I will admit that I had all kinds of software for my Atari 800xl. Even further, I can't remember buying a copy of Windows 98. But I have found that being legal gives you many advantages and releases you from any more worry.
I never liked what M$ did with the registration of XP but I can see it helps the users to maintain their security updates much better than before.
I see people spend hundreds of dollars on expensive machines but then balk at having to pay for an OS. (I've tried Linux. It's decent but inadequate) You can pick up a copy of XP Home Edition now for less than $75.
Stirring the pot on this old topic - I have strong feelings about helping folks with illegal software that I made clear just a couple weeks ago (before joining the Tech Team) in this thread. Bottom line, those users are thieves and I see no reason to help them continue to use stolen goods - ESPECIALLY knowing that many of those computers are improperly maintained and secured, and, in turn, compromised by hard core (often organized) bad guys and used as weapons against the rest us.
QUOTE
Well I understand what you're saying. I don't think anyone should have illegal copies either, but as far as I'm concerned, that's not what we're here for. I'm here to kill the bad guys.
I agree 100%: kill the bad guys!
However, I contend that users and distributors of illegal software are bad guys too! I will not help them, and will not have mercy on them. Free, capable alternative operating systems, office productivity suites, and anti-malware tools abound. There is no excuse for stealing software - whether that be Windows, NAV, or games, tunes, and videos.
In addition to helping folks with their computer problems, helping honest folks secure their systems to protect themselves, and their children and grandchildren from the bad guys is why I am here, and one of the primary reason folks come here. Since it is no secret the use of illegal software and illegal file sharing are key sources of, and primary distribution channels for, malicious code, I have no problem defining anti-piracy as a primary reason for why we are here.
JMHO
We do not support the use of illegal Pirated/Warez/Cracked software.
Helping a person who insists on using such software, could be construed in the eyes of the law to be aiding and abetting a crime. Therefore you will be asked to remove any cracked programs and in the case of your operating system, to obtain a valid licensed copy.
You will be asked to remove any such software before receiving any help.
The malware removal forum is set up to help those in need of assistance with their personal computers. This service is free and provided by volunteers.
We realise on occasion an IT person might need a second opinion. In which case please state that up-front and note the steps already taken. Our volunteers appreciate that.
If you are a computer business claiming to remove spyware for your paying customers, our Volunteers are not here to support such. Personal computer clients may be directed to this forum to receive free advice in the first person.
Credit to Safer Networking
The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.
(My bold and underline)
I like it.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI