This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Validation Question

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Not sure if this was the correct place to post this or not. Questions is, Brother in law freind brought a pc for me to work on because it was running a tad slow. When I went to clean it up and saw the icon to install windows updates, I went ahead and installed them.

When I booted back up the msg came up, You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of windows did not pass genuine windows validation. I went what ? So I check the system info to see it was Win XP Pro installed, ok then I went and checked the COA sticker and found that the machine from the factory had Win XP Home installed. Hummmm

This is where I am a tad lost here I did system info and found original install date 10/31/04. This is where I need help and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought when you went and formatted the hard drive and installed windows, that should be the install date it was created. So what I am trying to find out is when was xp pro installed in place of xp home and the date. He told me he brought his pc to a computer shop because the machine was running real slow and when they got it back it really never was the same.

This is why I am trying to find out when and where was pro installed taking the place of xp home or was pro in this machine from the get go and the sticker was wrong on the machine because of the install date 10/31/04. Hate to feed him wrong info and he goes to that computer shop and beat the snot out of the person their.

Cause I have to tell him that he is going have to pay MS the $149.00 to validate windows or he is going have to buy a copy of xp home if he cannot find his original install cd's that came with this machine, he says it's 5 years old.

Any help on this would be appreciated so I can tell him the correct info of what needs to be done to correct this problem he has.
Hi Jimbo1.

Open a Command prompt and enter systeminfo | find "Original"

It will run for a few seconds then you'll get something like this which is when I last installed XP on my computer:

Original Install Date: 3/21/2008, 2:06:56 PM

Leave off the | find "Original" and instead write the output to a file then you can edit it with notepad if you want.

systeminfo > sysinfo.txt
notepad sysinfo.txt
Yeah, this is a drag Jimbo.

The computer has a legally licensed version of Windows XP Home, but some [descriptive words] decided to install XP Pro on it. Its absolutely uncalled for. The computer came with the version of windows you have a sticker for. Somebody who doesn't belong in the computer business decided to load a bootlegged copy of XP Pro on it.

Download and run this program: Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool

When the diagnostic finishes, under the Windows tab you will see some information about the currently installed copy of Windows. Obviously, it is going to say it didn't pass the genuine tests. But, more interestingly, it will tell you important information about the type of Windows that is installed and the product key that was used.

You will probably see some things like this:

Product ID: xxxxx-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx (The 640 signifies a blocked series of volume license keys that are often used for bootlegged windows)
Product ID Type: Volume License Key

Somewhere it will mention that the license is blocked.

Its possible that the people who did this installed over top of what was already there and maybe the system maintained its original install date when XP home was created. Thats hard to say, but Ztruker's info may help determine that.

You don't have to buy another copy of Windows XP Home. You have a valid licensed copy. If the computer is a name brand machine, contact the manufacturer of the computer. It usually costs no more than $20 to have a new set of recovery discs shipped to you that you can use to rebuild the system from scratch and have a nice legally licensed installation again. If it is not a name brand machine, or, even if it is, you only need a Windows XP home OEM installation disc from ANY computer to reinstall the operating system using the original key that is on the computer. Be sure you know the difference between a retail copy of Windows and an OEM copy of WIndows. You need the OEM copy. Do not continue to use the bootlegged XP Pro.

However, I would have your friend find any documentation they can describing the work that was done on the machine by this computer company. Try to determine for sure that nobody else is responsible for doing this by talking to your friend about who else may have installed the bootlegged copy of XP pro. I would then read HERE about how to report software piracy to Microsoft. Use the phone number and I assure you that you will talk to someone who is very interested in getting all the information they can about this company. Its these kind of people that steal from the honest people like you and I who try to do right by folks who are in need of computer service.

This kind of thing really burns me.
Try to determine for sure that nobody else is responsible for doing this by talking to your friend about who else may have installed the bootlegged copy of XP pro. I would then read HERE about how to report software piracy to Microsoft. Use the phone number and I assure you that you will talk to someone who is very interested in getting all the information they can about this company. Its these kind of people that steal from the honest people like you and I who try to do right by folks who are in need of computer service. This kind of thing really burns me. ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————— Nods, Yes I only try to make a small living to cover my cost of rising cost of health Insurance, being on a limited income every little dollar I can get helps. But this is why I am trying to find and give the correct info to this guy, this dude looks like he could knock down a tree and would hate to feed him wrong info. But I suspect his machine was infected and who ever did this, just had a bootleg copy of pro. Thanks for the info will check further into this.
Here is what the systeminfo.txt shows:

Host Name: PLAYTOY2-RRUTUH
OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Uniprocessor Free
Registered Owner: Playtoy2
Registered Organization:
Product ID: 55274-645-5842484-23456
Original Install Date: 10/31/2004, 7:48:41 PM
System Up Time: 0 Days, 0 Hours, 15 Minutes, 31 Seconds
System Manufacturer: System Manufacturer
System Model: Product Name
System type: X86-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2171 Mhz
BIOS Version: FIC - 42302e31
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 447 MB
Available Physical Memory: 201 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 2,048 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 1,998 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 50 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\PLAYTOY2-RRUTUH


This is why I am puzzle, the original install date shows 10/31/2004. But the coa sticker shows XP Home, it's a e-machine T3025 and web site says machine was installed with home. I also downloaded the tool and it says invalid product key.

Waiting on the owner to call me, in the process I went ahead and copy all of his photos, doc's, excel files and all others, I have A retail oem disk I can use but thats reformatting the hard drive and them starting over from scratch if that is the way they want to go, either way they going have to do this. I was looking for the install date when pro was installled and that is why I am puzzle of the install date.
I'm not sure how clear you are on this… So, I want to say before you get stuck in a jam. There isn't a "reatil OEM" disc. There is a RETAIL disc - one that you buy off the shelves. And there is an OEM disc - one that system builders can buy from places like newegg.com, or other Microsoft distributors. You need the OEM disc and always will in this case. The manufacturer's always use OEM product keys on the sides of the computer regardless if it is home or pro. So, having a set of PRO and HOME OEM discs is a necessity in this business.

And there is an OEM disc - one that system builders can buy from places like newegg.com, or other Microsoft distributors. You need the OEM disc and always will in this case. The manufacturer's always use OEM product keys on the sides of the computer regardless if it is home or pro. So, having a set of PRO and HOME OEM discs is a necessity in this business.



These are the ones I have and bought from New Egg, Guess I said it wrong, ones I have here are packages with the stickers to put on the side of the machines I build. Anyhow found out this person is my cousin and talked to him about what needs to be done and he wants the system fixed right.
Hi,
The date that Ztruker's code provides is the date that Windows was last installed (10/31/2004) its not the date that Windows was first installed

if you format and reinstall Windows then you will lose all data so make sure that everything useful is copied to removable media…..don't forget to make a note of or get the owner to make a note of all usernames and passwords, make sure that this includes Internet, email, favourite sites, banking details and the router user name and password and any WEP/WPA keys if wireless is used. Once you start the fresh install its generally too late…so make sure absolutely nothing is forgotten!

Microsoft has changed its operating procedures fairly recently……for example a Microsoft install disc slipstreamed with SP3 on a 5 year old machine will sometimes, not always but just, sometimes, fail to pass online automatic activation…… it can sometimes also be problematic in achieving activation over the phone direct to Microsoft. (This is part of Microsoft's policy of combating piracy where appropriate)

To be sure of activation being successful then make sure that the 25 digit key code you input is the one you hold a valid licence for (see the COA label on the machine ) and that you are using the correct version of Windows install disc ie XP Home Edition with SP1 or whatever, and that its OEM (if applicable)
Good luck
Regards
paws
Hi Paws.. I haven't experienced any problems like this at all w/ SP3 and never have with any reinstall. Since the release of SP3 I have used slipstreamed discs to reinstall countless systems, mostly XP Home. If what you are saying is true, it is very new and I have still not encountered an issue. My experience is, even before SP3, certain systems would not pass "automatic online activation." However, calling Microsoft and talking through the computerized system will get the system activated most of the time, and then a few other times I actually have to talk to someone. Either way, they have never given me a problem activating. I don't claim that this would be the case if someone was trying to pirate software, all my experiences involved valid product keys that are legally licensed to the machine they are installed on. You are in the UK, maybe this presents a different scenario for you and can be part of the problem you are talking about?
Hi appleoddity, I'm not sure if this is a UK change of procedure………. I maybe it is……….I've recently had a few customers who have tried to use a slipstreamed disc where the difference is large IE originally SP1 or !a but tried with SP3 slipstreamed and no joy on auto activation ( on line) they had no luck either with talking to a Microsoft official over the phone…(they explained the change of policy)…so they brought the machines into the shop. We did fresh installs using their COA product key and a MS SP1 install disc, and it all activated on line with no probs. I was reluctant to use a Slipstreamed SP3 disc in these circumstances, as I value my good relationship with Microsoft Regards paws
Yeah, I understand. I was curious if you had experienced the problem yourself. I guess its hard to say for sure what the customers did when they tried. I can say, from my experience, Microsoft hasn't given me any problems. I can't say for sure that I have used slipstreamed SP3 to reinstall systems from pre-SP1 licenses, but I'd say its a pretty safe bet that I have reinstalled system from pre-SP2, because this seems to be fairly common still. I just can't say for sure now though. I'll keep this in mind, and I will follow up in this thread the moment I find one of these old installations if I remember to. :)

Hi,
The date that Ztruker's code provides is the date that Windows was last installed (10/31/2004) its not the date that Windows was first installed


hiya paws,

ya kinda understand now, what trowing me off track that this machine had windows xp home, but at some point xp pro was installed and this was the info I was trying to find out. When was the Pro Ver installed in place of Home.

What I found funny is the 04 date, but did some looking at the system 32 files and found a lot of dates of Dir created back in 06/2008 at the same time my cousin said he brought his system to that pc repair shop. This was why I was :scratch: my head, I thought once you formatted a hard drive and installed windows that would be the installed date so if XP Pro was installed back in 08 this should be the install date, but instead it's showing that 04 date?

So which brings me to this question? Did the PC repair shop install XP Pro or Did the factory Install XP PRO and stuck a wrong sticker on the case of the machine and 2nd the machine was never updated till I did it last week and this is where it got hammered of not being legit.
Hi appleoddity,

I haven't experienced any problems like this at all w/ SP3 and never have with any reinstall. Since the release of SP3 I have used slipstreamed discs to reinstall countless systems, mostly XP Home. If what you are saying is true, it is very new and I have still not encountered an issue.


Like you I have had no problems using slipstreamed SP3………Thursdays are normally our format and reinstall days and we usually do 2 or 3 at a time and unless the customer is using old software (that can go a bit grumpy when it sees XP SP 3 for the first time, we always use slipstreamed SP 3 discs)

I mentioned the problem because we have had 2 customers in with the same request within the last 3 weeks (asking us to fix, as Microsoft would not activate over the phone (with SP3 as it was an early system) citing an anti pirate policy as the reason.
We reinstalled (fresh) using SP1 and obtained auto activation for them (on line with no problems) then we had the job of doing SP3 and then all the updates so at least we did earn out of it.
There was no problem with Validations it all passed OK…….I

just wonder if Microsoft felt that something was not quite right, with the responses the customer gave over the phone…….. however the on line activation failed when the customer did it so I just don't know.

I think for the next ones who come in with same problem, we'll go straight to The ss SP3 disc and see if we have any problems ( unless of course they have old software…which most of our customers do! )
I'll keep you posted by pm
Regards
paws
Hi Jimbo1

Did the factory Install XP PRO and stuck a wrong sticker on the case

I suppose anything is possible, but I've never seen an incorrect COA (straight from the factory)

Trying to prove what the shop did or didn't do, after this time lag is possible, but the forensic tools needed and the resourse allocation makes it a non starter unless you are very keen…!
The fact that the system had never been updated is indicative that its either a pirate copy or the operator remained unaware of the need to update……. :unsure:

The way forward that most experts would recommend now is to do a fresh install of the legit OS for which the operator has a valid license and key. ( after making sure all the important stuff is kept safe on removable media)
Regards
paws
I agree with Paws. I highly doubt that an incorrect sticker was placed on the computer. I'd say the chances are so slim that its not even worth considering. Someone loaded XP Pro over top of Home. Proving who did it is not impossible. By looking at certain folder times/dates you probably could tell, but its hard to prove. It would be better to find out if ANYONE ELSE could've done this. If not, then you know it was the service place.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI