This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Pirated Vista Key?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

I was reading an article on how copies of Vista have been cracked by pirates who exploited windows activation server & decided to Google my product key not expecting to see any results, but lo and behold there was my Vista Product Key along with my Product I.D. :angry:
What's going on how is this type of information on the web? I don't want to sound paranoid, but has my computer been hacked? Or do Microsoft ship out a group of computers with the same Product Key + Product I.D? What should I do, do I need to speak to Microsoft & inform them?
As you own the system\key in question you wont have any problems, worst case you may need to show m$ a pic of your key, or they may ask further info that enables them to verify your have the legit key, but once your key is out it's like being on a spam list, it just gets spread about more and more, and being the Internet it's too late to do anything, raise your concerns with m$ by all means, but as you have the genuine key theres little they can do, they will simply rely on WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) to catch these people out. Now as I help quite a few mates, and I keep having to create them a new install disk because they keep losing the previous one each time, I have a few keys which I was able to search (including my own), and some of those came up in search results as well (not mine though), and I know for a fact that these people would NOT. pass on they're key because I've drill into them just what it means to them, so my conclusion, the same thing has probably happened to you as it has them. Either someone somewhere has got lucky with a code generator, or less scrupulous sales staff (possibly repair places in some cases) have been noting codes on systems for sale, so you have done nothing wrong, you have just been unlucky so to speak, so my advice, carry on as normal, there is nothing you can do that will make any real difference IMHO, just be assured yours is the real deal. The time you can do something is if you say bought the system, often second hand, and then find it's not a genuine copy, should that happen you can approach m$ and report this, they had a big Ad campaign about rewarding people caught out with genuine keys, of course they need a statement and info to aid securing a conviction against the place you got it, so I guess you have to tick all the boxes to get a genuine replacement, but this is the only time your reporting it makes a difference to you, hope this clears things up a bit.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI