You can't delete from prefetch. That's just a guide for windows to use when starting up. Essentially, startups are copied to prefetch. That one in prefectch will disappear by itself when the file is no longer a startup.
Well, I am out of ideas and no one has posted anymore to the other thread where I was asking for help. Maybe cnm will provide more guidance on how to proceed… Sorry I couldn't sort it out for you, as I said earlier, I am still a novice with this stuff….
Merged yet another thread here, didn't notice before that it was part of this. Jenney, Please stick to this one thread until we close it. Click "Track this topic" to get an email with URL for your thread whenever anyone replies. Click ADD REPLY, do not click NEW TOPIC.
Opening any more threads for this problem will result in a Warning.
I have lost track of what you are trying to get rid of.
Please post another log.
Some reasons why your fixes may not stick:
You're not doing it in Safe Mode.
You're not closing all other windows before clicking Fix checked.
We're overlooking something.
cnm,
those earlier threads you've merged were just that, my earlier ones - when I was new and didn't realize how to post my logs, etc. you did tell me once before not to post separate threads for the same problem (sorry), and since then, I have stuck to this one. I have done all the things you mentioned:
I did try to delete in safe mode - it didn't work
and
All of my other windows were closed when I clicked fix checked
here's my current log below the problem file (at least according to previous input is the fhwxjyk file. I can't get rid of it.
The broken internet connection is due to the filter I have. I can't fix it because it won't let me get to cexx.org. to download the lsp fix.
Jenney
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 2:30:45 PM, on 12/20/2003
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Nhksrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb06.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\InetCntrl\InetCntrl.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\MOMDAD\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 16 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InetCntrl] C:\WINDOWS\System32\InetCntrl\InetCntrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [fhwxjyk] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\fhwxjyk.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Startup: M-W Link to Collegiate® Dictionary.lnk = C:\Program Files\MWED\MWLINK.EXE
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'inetcntrl.dll' missing
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{870AACFD-75D2-455E-A93A-BB5161C129C7}: NameServer
Netropa Hotkey Server task seen only on DELL and Compaq PCs running Windows NT4/2000/XP. Our understanding is that this task prevents any hotkeys you configured via the Netropa/Dell hotkeys configuration software, from working when your PC is locked by a screensaver.
Recommendation :
NHKSRV is sometimes responsible for literally eating up CPU cycles, up to 90% CPU usage sometimes. So, although NHKSRV is effectively a security feature, you may need to disable it and possibly completely disable hotkey support altogether. To disable, use Starter, or if you cannot see NHKSRV in Starter, go to "Control Panel \ Services" in WinNT4, or "Control Panel \ Administrative Tools \ Services" in Win2000/XP to set this service to "Manual".
I'd just leave it alone if it's not doing anything bad.
How's your PC working now?
Thanks for that info. my browser page hijacker was the worst problem and that was taken care of with hijack this and cwshredder. I'm not going to worry too much about this other thing. I'm not having any major problems as of the past couple of days. there was a hijacker that was popping up, but I've downloaded updates and I think things are ok, if you think my log's ok. I'll gladly have you lock this thread - I've got way too many posts and views.
Thanks!
Jenney
I would not fix this:
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'inetcntrl.dll' missing
because the filter you are using is probably intentionally doing this to work properly. I used LSPfix to "fix" a similar problem and took all day to get my internet access back again. Not worth it even if you could download the program. That is why I asked you to look up the properties….
Good advice, Budfred. Best leave O10's alone if not causing trouble.
Jenney, Glad we could help.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending Email to Zero or Email to cnm or Email to Coyote Choose only one of the above
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post, any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Others please start a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI