Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Off Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2003 - 01:11 PM

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=7]We probably have all experienced this :unsure:

The web page opens, a popup appears, then another and so on. :rant:

We close them all (or so we think) :o

But one has appeared way off screen :scratch:

So then, heres my question;

When this happens is there a "quick way" to get it back centered (not maximised) so that the rest of the windows we open dont appear off screen as well? :wall:

I seem to remember something from long ago but cant figure out what it was. <<= :dumb:

Thanks

The only thing that frustrates me is frustration. :wtf:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Norseman

Norseman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

You can install a new Browser called Avant that has a built in Pop Up blocker or you can install a free pop up blocker like Free Surfer pop up blocker and you will get rid of most all pop ups. I know this will help.

#3 Terminator

Terminator

Expert

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:45 PM

This trick should work.

Remove any 'Auto-hide' option for the taskbar and then maximise the problem window. While the window is maximised, increase the height of the taskbar from one row to two. Allow the maximised window to reset itself to fit into the new area allowed by the taller taskbar. Now return the taskbar to its normal single row. This is to try to make Windows re-calculate the window size and boundaries.

If no joy, run regedit and remove these registry key values which are most likely corrupted:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\window_placement

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\internetexplorer\Desktop\Explorer\desktop\oldWorkAreas\OldWorkAreaRects

Then reboot.

Note - there is a known bug that causes off-centre windows - check out the following KB article:

http://support.micro...com?kbid=321268

#4 brandon

brandon

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:36 PM

Mozilla and Opera are far better browsers than IE, or any IE shell. Plus they have built-in popup blockers, unlike IE.

#5 mjc

mjc

-

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 06:24 PM

First, before playing around with other browsers, addons for IE etc, reg tweaks, etc, why not find out if you are in fectd with anything that would contirbute to the popup problem and get and run a popup blocker to prevent them in the first place?
I hope it wan't my turn to refill te coffe pot...

Posted Image