Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

storage sense or disc cleanup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:56 AM

I asked in another forum so as not to lean on the folks here but got a bunch of differing opinions.

Should I enable storage sense and rely on just that, or should   also use C:\\  > properties > disc cleanup (which has clean up  system files weekly)?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

I have Storage Sense disabled. I use CCleaner and Disk Cleanup. It's a personal preference.

Mine looks like the following:

StorageSense.jpg

• Peter1 likes this

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

I now also have storage sense disabled.

I have an attachment to show the two disc cleanup features, one is just disc cleanup and the other is cleanup system files.

I have been doing both for years and wanted to know if I should do just disc cleanup or also system files as depicted?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

I do the same, including clicking on Cleanup System Files where you can get rid of Windows.old after a Feature Update.

• Peter1 likes this

Rich

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

I appreciate the helpful information.  Now I know what to do.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

Now a real test would be to switch to Storage Sense and see if it works as well for you over a 6 month period, then report the results back here :whistling:

Rich

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:37 AM

If I had a second machine, that would be an interesting idea.  :clap:

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

Gives me an idea though. I'll turn it on in my Hyper-V Win 10 Pro VM and see what it does there. For all I know it may already be on since all I use that VM for is testing insider builds.

Rich

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

I never got to VM's but I think I am aware that your VM is the Windows one you turn features on and check off. if I am not mistaken once you do this you cannot use VM's like VMware or Oracle.

Can you have that on and running while you use the PC for other tasks or is this another machine?

I have Window sandbox but don't think that is what you have in mind.

I guess I could take separate weeks to  compare the two, Storage Sense and then - C:\>properties> disc cleanup "w" 'clean up system files'.

I think your system is more effective. Please post the results.

Incidentally, is Windows sandbox about the same as Hyper V as far as testing goes?

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:18 PM

Sandbox and Hyper-V are very different. Sandbox is a single, isolated, single use  virtual environment where you can run stuff safely without any chance of contaminating your host system. When you close Sandbox, it completely goes away, including everything in it so you can't save anything to use the next time. Nice for fire-walled type testing but that's it as far as I see.

Hyper-V allows you to setup as many guest VMs as you want. They are true virtual machines with full network capability and can access host resources, including hard drive and USB. You can have multiple VMs running at the same time on the host and they can communicate with each other as if they were separate physical systems. Hardware resources are the limiting factor. Oracle VB and VMWare are the same.

I currently only have two Hyper-V VMs setup. Win 10 test where I boot ISOs to test them and Win 10 Pro X64 where I test Insider builds.

Rich

#11 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

Those sound very sophisticated and for advanced users.
I see the difference between them and sandbox. Thank you for posting the information. I am still undecided between disk cleanup and storage sense. Maybe time will shed some light.