I asked in another forum so as not to lean on the folks here but got a bunch of differing opinions.
Should I enable storage sense and rely on just that, or should also use C:\\ > properties > disc cleanup (which has clean up system files weekly)?
3 min read
I asked in another forum so as not to lean on the folks here but got a bunch of differing opinions.
Should I enable storage sense and rely on just that, or should also use C:\\ > properties > disc cleanup (which has clean up system files weekly)?
I have Storage Sense disabled. I use CCleaner and Disk Cleanup. It's a personal preference.
Mine looks like the following:
I now also have storage sense disabled.
I have an attachment to show the two disc cleanup features, one is just disc cleanup and the other is cleanup system files.
I have been doing both for years and wanted to know if I should do just disc cleanup or also system files as depicted?
I do the same, including clicking on Cleanup System Files where you can get rid of Windows.old after a Feature Update.
I appreciate the helpful information. Now I know what to do.
Now a real test would be to switch to Storage Sense and see if it works as well for you over a 6 month period, then report the results back here ![]()
If I had a second machine, that would be an interesting idea. ![]()
Gives me an idea though. I'll turn it on in my Hyper-V Win 10 Pro VM and see what it does there. For all I know it may already be on since all I use that VM for is testing insider builds.
I never got to VM's but I think I am aware that your VM is the Windows one you turn features on and check off. if I am not mistaken once you do this you cannot use VM's like VMware or Oracle.
Can you have that on and running while you use the PC for other tasks or is this another machine?
I have Window sandbox but don't think that is what you have in mind.
I guess I could take separate weeks to compare the two, Storage Sense and then - C:\>properties> disc cleanup "w" 'clean up system files'.
I think your system is more effective. Please post the results.
Incidentally, is Windows sandbox about the same as Hyper V as far as testing goes?
Sandbox and Hyper-V are very different. Sandbox is a single, isolated, single use virtual environment where you can run stuff safely without any chance of contaminating your host system. When you close Sandbox, it completely goes away, including everything in it so you can't save anything to use the next time. Nice for fire-walled type testing but that's it as far as I see.
Hyper-V allows you to setup as many guest VMs as you want. They are true virtual machines with full network capability and can access host resources, including hard drive and USB. You can have multiple VMs running at the same time on the host and they can communicate with each other as if they were separate physical systems. Hardware resources are the limiting factor. Oracle VB and VMWare are the same.
I currently only have two Hyper-V VMs setup. Win 10 test where I boot ISOs to test them and Win 10 Pro X64 where I test Insider builds.
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI