This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

.db files

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I saw a lot of .db files after using my Video camera software. They were .db so I read about them and found it was safe to remove them. It said to perform a disc cleanup and include "clean up system files" in the box. How often should you do this and which boxes are advisable to check? Thank you Peter
When you click on the name to the right of the check box, you'll get a short description of what that one represents. That should help a little.

I would not check (ever):

Service Pack Backup Files
Setup Log Files

Thumbnails is up to you. If you delete them they will be recreated the next time they are needed, which slows things down a tad.

Always check:

Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin (unless you keep stuff there just in case you may want it back. Bad idea but some people do)
All the Windows Error Reporting ones since once they have been submitted they are not really any use.

A better alternative is to use CCleaner and set it up the way you want then run it once a week or so. I run it every night just before Acronis does its backup.

Here are a couple links to existing tips on disk cleanup:

IMMEDIATE - How to clean up your hard drive to increase free space, Windows Made Easy
LONG TERM - How to free up space on your hard drive, Windows Made Easy
I clicked on the "cleanup system files" box not realizing the two you would never remove are included. I do not remember what else is in there. Is it a good idea to never click that box and just do disc cleanup? I read the help before reoving those two but ere was no indication I was removing service pack backup files and the like. Perhaps I should image with Acronis to a point beore I removed them then not touch that box again?

I clicked on the "cleanup system files" box not realizing the two you would never remove are included.

Most likely, no harm done. I personally do delete those files too, but only after I know my system is running fine with the current updates, and I have no intention of rolling back to an older version. But if ANY doubt, I leave them.
Bill If I wanted to recover these files, for future reference, would system restore be ok or woud I need Acronis to perfom an image? Also, may I ask, during regular maintenace, there is a box in the disc clean up called clean up system files; should I avoid this? I have made note of the ones to delete from Ztruker's post but forgot what is in that section. Peter

Bill
If I wanted to recover these files, for future reference, would system restore be ok or woud I need Acronis to perfom an image?
Also, may I ask, during regular maintenace, there is a box in the disc clean up called clean up system files; should I avoid this?
I have made note of the ones to delete from Ztruker's post but forgot what is in that section.
Peter

You cannot recover them with System Restore, you would need to restore from a backup file or image. But those files are only helpful if you need to uninstall an update or a patch. And you typically only need to do that when the update or patch fails, or it breaks something. If the install did not fail, and if your computer is working fine, then you don't need them - they just take up space. But don't be hasty deleting them. They can sit for months or years and cause no problems. And if you have lots of free disk space, I would not worry about them.

As for the box, did you mean System Restore files? I do not recommend cleaning "system" files. Cleaning System Restore is fine - but ONLY if you have not made any recent changes and your system is working perfectly. Otherwise, you delete all your restore points, except the most recent.

Do note that System Restore does not really take up any space because System Restore is designed to give up space if needed. And that only happens with free space is critical. Deleting any SR points to free space then is just a temporary solution at best.
I'll try Acronis and hope to get back to level ground.. Altho I was reading Ztruker's post i was a bit confused as to what to do -he ws clear but i was not. I think it best to just perform disc cleanup but not the service pack backup files. I don't see any setup log files so I cannot not check them -Win 7x64 that is… Maybe just clicking disc cleanup and avoiding "cleanup system files" is best. Thank you for your help
I thougt I should report back to the good folks who offered help. Luckily, Acronis recovered to a date prior to the deletion of the backup files for service packs. I will now just click on dic cleanup and avoid those files and the set up log files I just found. I was very lucky to avoid trouble but in all honestyI did read the help. I should have read more about it; bottom line. Regarding the reason for this post, I found a site that is good for any low level users like myself. It helped me fix my corrupted Win Media Player and all those db files.. It is called the MS fixit solution center and will help non techs get out of many troubles. Thank you again for your kind advice. Peter
Well, you can delete them later if want, but no harm in leaving them. As far as Fixit! that has proven to be an excellent site for many common problems.
I personally have misgivings about optimization programs in general, but many of my trusted colleagues like PCPitstop very much. I am hesitant with programs that use non-standard terminologies and make recommendations that have no apparent values. That said, I am not aware of PCPitstop being directly responsible for making any computer worse.
I found it to be an interesting site but did not know if it served any purpose. Sometimes I think I would like to find a site that tells me how things are going and advise me to make necssary changes. I have been running Secunia PSI for years now and it has never let me down. It lets me know exactly what needs to be done. I find out what software is end of life, needs upgrading or any other issues. It is easy as you can tell by the fact that I have used it successfully for years. They have a very friendly forum and they are skilled. Once I had a question and they would not leave until it was solved. It had to do with a Windows update and they took care of it, then explained it to me. Anyway, thank you for the help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI