Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Advice on clean win 10 install w/o disc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Greetings again (and again and...)

About to do that clean install to break the curse of the fibrillating cursor opening anything down lower left of my desktop 3X a second.

Bought this computer with Win 10 Home installed, no disc.

Previously did a save-my-files notsoclean install.
Now for the Clean Install. 

Question:  Should I trust the reinstall of the Windows already in the machine? 
Or should I be trying to obtain a new disc or download?
Oohh....Question 2: will MS just cheerfully hand one over?  (I found from EaseUs a little ap that claims to have found my installation key.)

Opinions?  Experience?

grazzie!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:28 PM

You won't need a key. Since you already have Windows 10 on the computer, a digital license is stored on the Microsoft servers and will be retrieved and applied when you reinstall Windows 10.

You should download the latest available which is 1903 18362.239 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Click on the Download tool now button and save the Media Creation tool to your Desktop.

Expand Using the tool to create installation media and follow the directions to create a USB flash drive (8GB or larger).

Disconnect any drive except the one you will be installing Windows 10 to.

Boot the flash drive.

During install when you get to the window where it shows you your drive, delete all the partitions so it is a unallocated disk with no partitions then click Next. The installer will create the partitions it needs and format them.

Install should only take 30 minutes or so.

If you want to use a Local account instead of a Microsoft Account, don't have the computer connected to the internet during the install. You can connect it after the install completes. I recommend using a Microsoft Account but the choice is yours.

Once it finishes, power down, reconnect any disconnected drives, power up, connect to the internet then do an immediate Windows Update. Once there click the Check for updates button. That will get you up to the latest service level which is currently 18382.387.

Edited by Ztruker, 01 October 2019 - 03:30 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

Thank you!  Sounds straightforward....