This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 10 download files separated!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

Fear not, ms has not been at its work, just us mortals!  I started the windows 10 download on the 27/07, just pressed start, then thought no, and closed the box with X at the top right hand corner, because I thought I'm not ready yet, thought that would stop the download, but no,ooooooo!!  But, at the time I didn't know this!

 

Then on 29/07, when I was ready, and as I'm always reading to disconnect any other drives that aren't connected when installing windows, the others were being disconnected before continuing to download windows 10, as I thought….read on.

 

The person who disconnected them laid the case on its side to do so (which must have been a big, big mistake) and when I reconnected and switched on, my windows 7 installation couldn't be found and I had to run the recovery disk, which didn't help and seemingly system restore didn't work.  The only way to get back into my pc to find where my installation had gone, was to reinstall windows on another drive, which I did.

 

I found that everything on the pc had moved and my 1st windows installation was now on a 2TB drive and because it has that boot section, it now has 2 letters on it, instead of one.  It also has the start of windows 10 download files (5 or 6 files) and I see that the rest of the windows 10 download files are continuing to come in on what is now my 2nd windows installation disk.  Obviously, my original disk doesn't operate as a windows system, or if it does, I don't how to make it so.

 

My question really is, can I extract the windows 10 files on the original windows disk and copy/move them to the new installation, which by the way is on disk 3 and not on disk 0, or how would I go about this, if indeed, I can do anything about it at all?

 

I hope this has been explanatory enough and not too long winded.  Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.

hedley

Hi hedley, I don't think I am going to be of much help here… :(

 

In my experience with the downloads for Win 10 once started Xing out of a dialog box doesn't stop the download.

 

As you correctly say removing the "extra hard drives" before starting the downloads is what should have been done, but I guess its too late now.

 

(Incidentally placing the computer case on its side before moving the hard drives should not be a problem)

 

You could try using the Win 10 installation disc (that hopefully you made or can be downloaded from MS) and maybe this will work, but as the published cutoff date for the free switch to Win 10 from win 7 was the 29th July you may be too late, and may need to consider buying the Win 10 OS if you need to proceed with this.

 

There may be some folks here who know which files are needed and can identify them and modify them appropriately if necessary so they can be moved to another drive and commence the installation but alas, I'm not one of them….Sorry :(

 

Maybe if you phoned MS they might be able to suggest something?

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI