Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Number keys don't work in filename field

keyboard v1903 number keys

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kangaroo

kangaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:52 AM

Since I updated Windows 10 to v1903 when I try and save a file with the date in the filename the number keys cycle through a variety of characters. When I first noticed this, regardless of which key I pressed, on the number pad (with NumLock on) or on the QWERTY row of numbers, I got 0 on first press of the 7-key today, then 1 on the second press of the 7-key, etc. Now today I notice that these incorrect characters may include letters (only lower case ones so far). Repeated presses of the same number key give different characters; in the case of giving numbers they seem to start at 0 and then 1, then 2 and so on.

My work-around has been to keep pressing the desired number key until the character I want comes up then backspace over the unwanted characters. Very tedious!

Is this a bug in the 1903 update or is there some other explanation?

I have an ASUS Pro Notebook model: P2520L running Windows 10 Pro v1903 (installed on 20190724)

Incidentally, I have no such problems typing this message; the issue has only surfaced when entering numbers in a filename field when trying to save a file.

I hope someone can help solve this for me.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 kangaroo

kangaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

As an example of the problem, I took two screen shots when I tried to save two files from my banking today. I clicked on the previous file in the series deleted the "7" and tried to replace it with "9". On the first file repeated pressing of the 9-key resulted in "cvbnm ... through 6789"; the second gave even more keys in sequence before I got the required "9".

I'm still totally flummoxed by this behaviour, which only happens when I try to save a file, or how to fix it.

In case it is relevant, I have only observed this behaviour when saving from the ESET Banking & Payment Protected browser window in Chrome and saving to a CSV file; I'm using Excel 2007 as the destination application.

Attached Thumbnails

• Repeated press of 9-key input error.jpg
  • Repeated press of 9-key next filename input error.jpg

#3 kangaroo

kangaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:07 PM

Today I had a new wrinkle on this problem. I've attached a screen snip of what happened when I deleted the existing "29" on the end of the date in the filename of yesterday's save and tried to type in "30".

On pressing the 3-key I went through the rather lengthy sequence of characters to eventually get to the "3" and then, on pressing the 0-key the sequence continued through "4" to "0". At least it didn't start a whole new sequence.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190730 Filename misbehaviour on 3 then 0.PNG