This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Installed new keyboard on laptop, certain keys not working

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I ordered a new keyboard for my HP 2000 Notebook PC laptop, model 2643 DX.  I'm running Windows 10.

This has been about 6 months now that I've had this issue but it's making me insane and I don't know if it was the keyboard or upgrading to 10 because I can't remember when it started (I'm thinking the keyboard).  

Previously, while on any website, I could hit the backspace button and it would go BACK.  No longer…

Now, to get a ' or a " I have to hit that key and THEN a space to have it show up on the screen.  Pain!!!\

Otherwise, everything works as before.  I just can't find the problem on any other searches.  HELP!

Hi Adasha,

There is currently a lot of controversy around the backspace key and the browser behaviour that folks expect.
 
Take a look here for more details.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/05/19/2041232/google-chrome-to-disallow-backspace-as-a-back-button

 

As to other keyboard behaviour it depends to a certain extent on the language you have your machine set to and the input method preferred

 

For example I am using a keyboard set to UK rather than USA and the keys have different functions (some of them anyway!)

 

on Win 10 open control panel (win+x) press p and make sure that your keyboard and language settings are as you like them to be.

 

If everything is set as you like it and you are still having problems then borrow a known good working USB keyboard, plug it in and see if the problems remains… at least the results from this will let us focus our attention in the right areas.

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI