This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How can I use illegal characters while renaming a folder?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hi all people I was wondering if there is any trick in WinXP to use illegal characters like "<:> while renaming folders in Fat32 and NTFS file systems.I have used Winhex disk editor but I dont know why the disk gets corrupted and even when i rename it to the original name, windows nags that its still corrupted. I want to make the folder inaccessible by this trick. Regards,
Hi Unknown

and :welcome:

I must admit, I'm a little confused by your request. In your text you mention both disk and folder as being corrupt, might be a typo, might be me not interpreting it right.

If Windows won't / can't access a Hard-disk because of it having corrupt sectors, you might wanna try repair that HD instead of renaming it.
To do this, follow this procedure:

1: Double-click on “My Computer”.
2: Select the disk/partition that you want to diagnose and repair.
3: Right click on the disk/partition you selected and click on “Properties”
4: Choose the “Tools” tab.
5: Click the “Check Now” button under “Error Checking Status”.
6: Click “Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors.”
7: Click Start.

You might be prompted that its not possible right now, and if you want the tool to begin on next reboot. Answer yes and reboot.
Following the reboot, the tool will try to repair whatever it finds, just let it work through.


If we are speaking of a corrupt folder in the system folders, you should be a little cautious of renaming it. Instead try replace it with a copy from either the i386 folder or from your windows CD. If you aint allowed that, you can run the SFC command.

Goto start–>Run–> Type: SFC /Scannow (Space between / and C)

This command will start a scan of your system files, and try repair or replace any damaged / missing files. Let it run undisturbed.

This may require a windows CD with SP2. If you don't have one, try borrow one from a friend which is ok for this purpose. Just remember, same CD as the OS, Home version CD for Home and Pro version for Pro.

If I have misunderstood something, please tell :blush:

Regards Abydos
They are illegal for a reason! Usually because they mean something else at a lower level - typically, they are control characters at the CLI - command line interface. - for example your < and > symbols are "redirect" commands calling to use a file "<", or to sent to a file ">". For example, if I wanted a list of my folders and files in my root directory of C, and I wanted that list to be dumped to a file, I would enter the following at the command line:

dir c: > list.txt

The colon is used to determine a mounting point for drives - C: or D:.

UNIX and Linux do allow some special characters, but not x86 based systems.

I want to make the folder inaccessible by this trick.

I suspect you can make the whole drive inaccessible this way - inaccessible to everyone, including you. There are many other ways to control access. I suggest you look into them. The smarter way is to control access to the computer.

Note that XP Pro and XP Home behave a bit differently in this area, with Pro allowing much more flexibility and control. What version do you have.

Access Control with XPP
Thanks for your reply Digerati
I think Abydos has misunderestood my question, but thanks anyway.
To tell you the truth I want to make a folder inaccessible in my flash memory.I have asked the same thing in MSFN forum and a guy
gave me a code to add at the end of the folders name to lock it and it was axactly what I want. but I have got in to trouble with this code Because it is not working anymore in SP3.So I think the best way to make a folder inaccessible in my flash memory is to use illegal characters, like the same trick which is used in CD Copy Protections.
The only cheat I have found to do this, is using Disk Editors but after using them, the flash memory gets corrupted (ofcourse not whole of it, just when I try to enter that folder, Windows nags that its corrupted).
Code:
XXXXXXX.{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}

XXX… = Folders name

one more thing, I forgot to write that someone taught me nice trick to make folders with reserved names
Mkdir \\.\Path\AUX
for example: mkdir \\.\C:\Temp\Aux
and Aux can be changed with Prn-COM1-LPT etc.

Thanks In Advanced
I would suspect that within a couple days, new code for SP3 will be available.

You might also try using an ASCII (pronounced: as-key) Character Code - see the charts here.

Make sure the numlock is on, hold down the Alt key, then type the 3 digit hex code.

For example, I use the degree symbol a lot: 42°C. Some of those codes may do the trick. I would sure practice on a SD that does not contain anything important.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI