This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Unresponsive Laptop

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Everyone,

 

I'm trying to get a Dell Studio 1555 to boot.

 

I had the machine working, did a normal shutdown, now it won't come on.

 

When I plug in the AC Adapter a white light comes on then immediately it goes off.

 

RESEATED THE RAM. (NOTHING)

 

TOOK OUT BATTERY (NOTHING) 

 

The operating system is Windows Vista.

 

Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache

 

ANY IDEAS HOW TO GET IT RUNNING AGAIN?

 

Thank You

 

Hello MARTY1946,

 

Can I ask where you are seeing this white light.

 

First thoughts are that the battery is dead and the AC adaptor is not working.

Hello PhillPower2;

 

Thank You for replying

 

The white light is directly above the AC Power Cord.

 

Well I checked the battery lights by pushing the test button on the Battery, all of them light up.

 

Used a multimeter to test the output of the AC Adapter, Tests Good around 19 VAC.

 

Like I said I did have this machine running, only to not be able to get it powered on, after a shutdown.

 

This is a friend's Laptop and he said he did get it WET

 

Thanks For Your Help.

 

Marty

Hello Marty,

 

Thanks for the update  :thumbup:

 

Reason why I asked about where the white light was is because I suspected it was the battery charging LED and by your description it would appear o be the case.

 

If you remove the main power brick and leave the AC adaptor connected do you get any signs of life from the white LED or the notebook at all and likewise if you leave the battery in place and disconnect the AC adaptor any white LED or signs of life at all from the notebook, power button or caps lock flash etc.

 

Below is copy/paste from a thread over on GTG where I was helping out, the members notebook was also a Dell and the following is what apparently fixed it for her, by turn on I would assume that she means just press the power on button as you normally would.

 

-> Take out battery
 
-> Plug in charger
 
-> turn computer on and let it sit during the night or for a few hours ( it won't boot, just let it sit). For me, I let mine sit over night.
 
-> restart and give it a try.
 
I do not understand why it fixed it. I do know that my first clue was that I took out the RAM and it beeped at me when I tried to turn it on. This is the computer telling me there was no RAM in it. People on the internet said this beep notification meant the motherboard was likely okay. From there I started to google searching for black screen + no fan symptoms and solutions and came across that video. That is what worked for me.

You are welcome and will look out for your update tomorrow  :thumbup:

 

Can I ask how long ago the notebook got wet and how badly, just wondering if there could have been residual liquid inside the chassis that could have shifted when the notebook was transported.

Hello Again PhillPower2;

 

I forgot to tell you that the pushbutton where you push to start,

isn't illuminated any more.

 

It was when I did get it to boot up.

 

The machine wasn't immersed in water, water was spilt on it.

 

I didn't see any signs of water inside the machine. 

 

Thanks Again

Marty

Good Evening PhillPower2;

 

I was reading some other posts about the problem with Powering Up this machine.

 

Used a procedure someone else suggested.

Took the Brick out, Reseated the RAM

Help the on/off button for 30 seconds.

Connected the AC Adapter.

Left it overnight.

Retried to Boot without the brick in.

Success it Booted up!!

in the process of updating a lot Software.

Thanks alot for your help.

I'll let U know if I need any more help.

 

Marty1946

You are welcome Marty  :)

 

Glad we could help and thank you for keeping us posted  :thumbup:

 

NB: The idea behind leaving the battery out and the AC adaptor connected overnight is basically like trickle charging a completely flat battery in such a way that a small amount of charge goes through the system overnight, the main power brick gets in the way of this hence the reason why it was suggested the main power brick be removed.

 

Can I make a suggestion if not already too late, keep using the notebook as long as possible without the main power brick in place and then at some point when everything is up to date and back ups are done, before retiring for the night, shut down the notebook, replace the main power brick, connect the AC adaptor, turn on at the wall socket and leave the battery to charge over night, please do not try powering up the notebook with the battery in place until this has been done. 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI