In various text entry programs, I often find that OverType replaces INSERT. I have tried different keyboards, and cleaning under the two INSERT keys. How can I permanently disable OverType ? I run 32bit Win10 Pro v1809.
Unwanted change from INSERT to OVERTYPE
4 min read
I'm not sure that one can, but maybe others have a method that works..?.
As the "Insert" key is generally a simple toggle switch, with one press activating "overtype" and a second press resuming "insert " mode, a lot of folks are happy just to press the key an extra time.
In some programmes ( older versions of MS Word for example) it was possible to set the mode using the Word controls….. however most folks I think just prefer to press the "insert" key one more time.
Regards
paws
I am forced to continually press the INSERT key to restore INSERT mode. That is why I am asking for a way to disable Over-Type altogether. Since you mention 'old' programs - It does occur most in WordPerfectforDOS, but ALSO in hypermodern chat programs and Notepad.
Ok all understood.
Have you tried different keyboards?
Here's a link to a reply by britechguy
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/668301/turn-offdisable-overwrite-in-windows-10/
( see the last post in the topic) that works for some versions of Word…. but wordperfect for DOS is a pretty old product…
Further link here for using OSK ( On Sceen Keyboard to switch off overtype:
Regards
paws
Have you tried different keyboards? - I have, as I mentioned in my post. Different keyboards and different connectors - P/S2 and USB.
Your first link is for Overtype in WORD - yes I had already done that - in vain.
I set the on-screen keyboard to show - it is already in INSERT mode.
Using the OSK, set it to overtype mode, use it that way for a minute or two then restart your computer When it has booted up set it to insert mode and use it for a minute or two , now restart your machine and see if this has done the trick for you, if not…… the continur reading below.
I have tried to replicate this issue by setting up a new installation of Win10 and then using notepad as the test area, but despite my best efforts I have been unable to enter Overtype mode at all…( as far as I was aware Overtype mode was not an available function on Notepad at all.
This leads me to think it may be your operating system of Windows 10 that could be an issue here: Are you sure that Win 10 is compatible with your computer?
Here are a further two suggestions for you:
1 Use a system Restore Point created before the problem with Overtype occurred and see if this fixes it
2 Download and create ( make sure you burn the .iso as an image as a simple copy won't work) a bootable distro of Linux ( linux Puppy is good and it's a small download. boot from the disc and see if Overtype persists using Puppy.
If the problems persist then it is almost certainly hardware based….. However if Puppy works satisfactorily then it's pointing to an issue with your Windows installation so after checking all your backups most carefully its' time to consider a Refresh of Windows here's a link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc
Regards
paws
I find the unwanted reversion to overtype very annoying, but not annoying enough to do the kind of radical 'revision' that you suggest. If I have to live with it, I will; but if you don't have a simpler solution, I will try other forums.
Yes that might be wise.
Hope you get it fixed without too much work.
If you do then please post back here with full details of the fix so that other folks who may be facing similar issues have the benefit of your researches into the issue
Regards
paws
Will do.
It might interest you that apart from the WordPerfectUniverse forum where I first posted this is (till I noticed it happened elsewhere than in WordPerfect), I have had mostly NO responses from half-a-dozen forums I have posted it to.
Yes, Understood.
To be honest I'm not surprised!
REgards
paws
One forum pointed me in an interesting direction - a software called Sharpkeys - that allows for remapping of keys. In a 64bit system (NOT where I have the problem) I could disable the INSERT key. There were complications I will tell you about if you ask me - it's a bit complex. My problem has not yet been solved.
I think that to get a solution you may have to re-consider the points in post 6
They don't seem to be a "radical revision" to me, but each of us has to make the call as to the amount of work we are prepared to undertake to achieve the objective.
Anyway good luck with your quest and I hope that you can come across a simple solution that will do the trick for you
Regards
paws
I have overcome the obstacles that Sharpkeys presented, so have now disabled the INSERT key by means of Sharpkeys. It will be a matter of time to see if the unwanted reversal to OverType has stopped.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI