This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

lagging computer

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Greetings.

I have been referred here by Juliet, following the malware process, which didn't turn much up.

 

That thread           https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=131597&page=2#entry887381

Experiencing mouse, keyboard, video, and Free Cell delays, at least.

YouTube vids, the music plays normally, vid hangs up for a beat every measure or so.
Dell laptop, 3541

AMD A6-6310 APU
AMD Radeon R4 graphics
64 bit
 8GB

wifi logitech mouse

 

Thanks,

denno

Hi denno, Sorry to hear about the problems with your laptop.

 

It looks like you have done a lot of work with Juliet over in the Virus and Spyaware removal forum, so at least for the time being we can rule out malicious code as being the culprit.

 

Its difficult sometimes to know where to start when troubleshooting these issues, but it may be helpful if I outlined the sort of steps we take in the workshop when a laptop is presented for repair.

 

Check the following:

 

1 Plug in a USB keyboard to a USB2  port  not USB3) and test, any improvement?

2 Plug in a USB mouse in a USB port…any improvement

3 Run chkdsk with the r switch from a command prompt with elevated privileges ( type cmd and then right click the cmd or cmd.exe box that opens and click on "Run as Admin") and at the flashing cursor type chkdsk /r  ( note the space twixt k and / as it has to be there) and press Enter, accept the warning type Y press Enter and reboot….. chkdsk will run ( allow several hours and do not interrupt it! make sure that your laptop is connected to the mains ( do not rely on battery power only) If there are any fixable errors on the hard drive then chkdsk will fix them automatically rebooting when its finished.

 

Let us know how you go but in the meantime check your back ups/system images as a reinstall of Windows might, just might be required.

Regards

paws

Howdy, Paws.  Nice to see your moniker again.

I've run chckdsk.  Will try mouse and keyboard. 
No change so far.

More observations:  scrolling also hangs up briefly.

And I did not mention that apps open by themselves now and again, sometimes in small batches.

just going away for 10 days.  Will try to get those tests done before; otherwise will be online the whole time.

 

I wanted to let you know I am onboard, if slow!

 

Thanks,

denno

Greetings, Paws!

We are home from Ireland.  Here's the situation—

I can look harder for a USB mouse; there's one around somewhere,   Don't seem to have a USB keyboard.

If these are necessary tests, to swap them in and see if anything is different, I'll make it happen.

 

Meanwhile, here's more observation on the streaming issue.  We're just watching a streamed basketball game, via HDMI from the laptop to the TV.

On my computer, the picture is not well-resolved; there is the usual video hangup every two seconds or so; and then the whole thing just hung up.

We tried my wife's laptop, and the picture is running smoothly and looks like HD.

 

That's the news.

 

denno

Hope you had a good time in the "Emerald Isle"

 

If these are necessary tests, to swap them in and see if anything is different, I'll make it happen.

 

THese are ( to my mind) the first things to try( maybe you can borrow them from a chum for a few minutes?)

 

Next easiest is to boot from a live distro of Linux (Linux Puppy is good and its a quick download)

 

If Puppy has no problems then its indicating a problem with your Windows installation :(

 

If Puppy has the same problems then it's indicating a hardware issue :( :(

 

I take it you have tried using various System Restore Points created before the problems started?

 

Regards

paws

We did. 

OK, I will do those tests.

Frankly, I know little of restoration points; one of the subjects that makes my brain choke up.  (Not always as incomprehensible as I think they will be.)

I do have a nightly iDrive backup.  Don't know much about backing up programs and such.  Will take advice on that or where to look it all up, happily.)

 

Are there sort of automatic restore points, or is that strictly manual?  Where do I look for them?  (I'll ask google, actually.)

 

 

Excellent that there is a way to tell if it's software or hardware problem.  Beginning to wonder if the machine itself is, how you say, fracacta?

 

If Puppy is not sufficiently self-explaining, I'll ask for help with that.

 

Thanks

First,, I find there are only 3 restore points going AAAAAAAAALLLL the way back to Dec 4.  Useless.  Dunno what Win 10 default this is.

 

Have increased disk space allowed for restore points to 110gb.

Hello, Paws

Here I am back again.  Life has been and continues to be obnoxiously busy.

 

I found the USB mouse.  Same hesitation in the tracking.  Touchpad, too.

In fact, if I turn on the laptop camera, looking at myself, and hold up a finger and move it left to right, the image grabs up every couple seconds or so.

I am going to try and do the Linux test.  It's the sort of thing I automatically think is going to be daunting….but we shall see.

=====================================================

OK, tried that.  Downloaded a version of Puppy to my downloads folder, burned it to DVD, changed my boot order and tried a couple of times to boot up.  Each time it got to a line that said, If You Are Reading This…..

 

It was something about "X" not happening.  There was a suggested command to cause "xorg" to start itself, with options to set the color bit depth and so forth.  I could not get past this point.

Is that what you meant by Puppy not being able to boot?

Hi denno, sorry for delay in getting back to you….. Like you I have been "up to my eyes in stuff"

 

If you downloaded Puppy and burnt the .iso as an image (a simple copy won't work) and it won't run then its indicating a hardware issue…. :(

Make sure you have burnt the .iso as an image. I think I remember seeing Nero in one of your logs and this should be able to burn as an image, but if you are stuck then try using

http://www.imgburn.com/

but please be very careful to read each page thoroughly and check for "additional programmes" that might otherwise be foisted on you…. you just need to burn the .iso as an image and nothing else!

 

If still no joy then its indicating a stong possibility that its hardware at the bottom of it….. What happened when you tried a USB keyboard and a USB mouse in a USB2 port (socket) on your laptop???

 

Before handing the machine over to your friendly neighbourhood competent computer tecnician's workshop for a diagnostic ( get a firm quote first for the work!)

I would be inclined to do a reset of Windows. Here's how:

 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

 

Tick the option to keep your files (even though you may be 100% happy with your backups, and be prepared to reinstall programmes that you may have installed.( make sure you have the discs handy and or the executable files…)

 

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Regards

paws

And nice to hear from you!

USB mouse (also touchpad) gave same result.  I never got to a USB keyboard.  I could check that the USB ports are "2."

Also glad to hear there is a nontotalwipe version of re-installing Win 10.

Anyway, SEE—-I TOLD you Puppy would boggle me.  Thanks for directions and I will retry it.  Report soon, I will.

 

Thanks,

denno

Hello, it is your long lost disciple.

 

ANYHOW—-coupla days ago the laptop announced that it was having difficulty booting up and was "just gathering some information" before it shut down.  I tried a couple of the apparently standard recoveries, and finally opted for a keep-my-files reset of Win 10.  It went almost all the way through the process and announced that there was a problem and it had failed and no changes were made.  Tried it 3 times.  

At another point started chkdsk, but it seemed to hang up pretty early and said it was going to take 10 or 20 hours, so I quit that.

 

Truly, if I can get it booted up one more time to save a few files I don't have backed up, I can reload Windows or get a different computer or whatever is necessary.

I think there are ways to boot off a CD or such, but I am not very conversant with them and I'd like not to try anything further w/o guidance.

 

There I am!  

 

(Have no idea if this old thread will still notify you; we'll see!)

 

Regards,

denno

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI