Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Intermittent lag spikes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sethala

Sethala

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I've been having an issue for quite a while, and unfortunately haven't found any fix for it. At seemingly random intervals, my latency just shoots up for a few seconds. This seems to happen no matter what I'm doing, but tends to affect me more when playing some online games (Diablo 3 and League of Legends particularly, sometimes World of Warcraft though that seems to have better latency forgiveness so I don't notice it as often, and Ventrillo gives me very choppy voices when I hit a lag spike). I run on a wireless network, but I'm about five feet from the router. Other computers on my network seem to have no issue, even when I'm sitting right next to someone playing the exact same game (I get a lag spike, he doesn't), so I think it's a computer issue. I've tried to do a virus scan with several different programs, and found nothing. I'm running a Dell laptop with Windows 7 (pre-installed). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my computer to stop lagging? Edit: One clarification, it's definitely network lag (i.e. I suddenly have a very slow/no connection to the servers), not just an issue with the computer not loading things fast enough. The graphics run perfectly smooth even when I'm lagging.

Edited by Sethala, 06 March 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hi Sethala,
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

Please try this for your lagging issue.

1. Go to Start / control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Performance Settings / change to "Adjust for best performance" / Apply / OK

2. Open and run Disk Cleanup

3. Defrag. your computer

See if this fixes the problem.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 Sethala

Sethala

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi Sethala,
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

Please try this for your lagging issue.

1. Go to Start / control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Performance Settings / change to "Adjust for best performance" / Apply / OK

2. Open and run Disk Cleanup

3. Defrag. your computer

See if this fixes the problem.

Cheers,
Lee

Hey, thanks for the welcome :)

I didn't have time to try defragmenting, but I ran LoL (which is the game that usually has the most issues with lag) after changing the performance settings, and it ran a lot smoother. Still a few random lag spikes, but not for as long or as often. I'll let you know how things work after I defragment.

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Pleased to be of help :thumbup:

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#5 Sethala

Sethala

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

Well unfortunately, after a few more tests, it looks like it wasn't enough. The spikes seem to not last as long, but they're still frequent enough to cause frustration.

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Wi-fi is not the best for gaming. Cable is always preferable for the strongest signal. Have you run a ping and upload/download speed test at different times of day to get an accurate picture of what your ISP is actually supplying?
Take note of your ping, upload and download speeds at http://www.speedtest.net/. don't click on "start Scan" as you need to click on "begin Test" that appears on the laptop screen at the site. You could also try a cable connection just to see if the lagging disappears due to better signal strength.

The fact that other computers on your network don't have your lagging problem doesn't mean much unless they are all the same computer model with the same OS setup and drivers. Even then it might just be an issue with your computer.

PS edit. If you still haven't done so, It is very important to defrag. your hard-drive before beginning the above tests.

Edited by Lee, 08 March 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#7 Sethala

Sethala

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

2:30 PM, with WoW running in the background (tabbed out, nothing major happening): http://www.speedtest.../2560183267.png

A few while running LoL:
http://www.speedtest.../2560193161.png
http://www.speedtest.../2560204646.png
http://www.speedtest.../2560222419.png

I'll try to find an unused network cable and go wired for a bit, see if that fixes things.

Also, I found out that my automatic driver updates weren't working for my network card. Got a new driver installed and that seems to help a lot. Not quite perfect, but I am noticing a huge change.

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Nothing wrong with those speeds, so we should be able to rule your ISP out as a problem. The old driver seems like it was the big issue and a cable always works better for on-line gaming.