This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Every time Windows 10 updates I get shut out of my account

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

For the last few weeks, every time Windows 10 auto updates, as soon as I allow it to restart, it shuts me out of my account. I can't get in by any means what so ever and have to reimage the system to get access back. The first time it did this, it shut me out by requiring either a PIN or password. I did not have a password set up for the account before this, but it said there was one and would not let me in. It also required my pin as an alternative but would not take my pin. Believe me when I tell you I did not make a mistake typing in my pin of only four numbers. So when I could not get in at all I had to use the recover stick to get a system on and install Paragon which is what i use to restore backups. Then I was able to reimage it from the backup image. 

 

Just now it did a Windows update and did the same thing again. This time it lets me into an Administrator account but not the user account at all. It says I need a PIN or password to get into my user account. The problem is, after I had this issue last time, I eliminated and disabled all PIN and password features for user acounts. S till it requires a pin or password and of course I have neither because I didnt set any. I tried my old pin but ofcourse it did not work.

 

Though I have access to an admin account, when I got into user accounts, it does not show any administrative capability what so ever for changing or deleting my standard user account password, so I still can't get in. Though it is not recommended, once I solve this issue again, I am shutting off automatic updates for now. I have to be able to work on this computer. I am a one man operation running the business by myself and uninterrupted all day access to the computer and internet are essential.

 

You should know that tips on the web for fixing this in other ways did not work as the issue also does not let me boot into safe mode or do any of the other tricks that are suppsed to work. Resetting a microsoft onlien account password did not work.

 

Please help. I need a permanent fix. If you know the cause such as what the issue is with whatever recent windows 10 update is causing hte problem, I would appreciate it. Thank you for whatever you can do.

 

Hi geercom,

sorry to hear of this issue. It sounds really annoying and is causing all sort of problems.

 

1 I think that in the final analysis a complete cure will only be obtained by reinstalling Windows ( a quick and simple way is by using the reset option with "keep files" selected.)

2 Here's a link with the details:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

 

3 Although this option will ( or is supposed to keep your files!) be sure to check, double check and then check again all your back ups to make sure they include everything your need and that you have all your downloaded executables (programme files) and installation discs and product serial keys/activation codes keft safe and handy. Don't forget your Windows 10 installation disc and product serial code….. if you haven't got a Win 10 installation disc then make one now before you start!

 

4 There are of course other ways to reinstall Windows but the above is a simple step that may do the trick for you.

 

5 Before you undertake the above have you tried booting into an admin level account and setting up a new account and then copying over your files? This maybe a long shot but is maybe worth trying. Here's a link

https://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt-user-profile-windows-10-9139/

 

6 If you have difficulty in booting into an admin level account or the "hidden Administrator account" post back and tell us exactly what happened.

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI