This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Automatic Update Problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have my windows update settings to 'advise but do not download/install'. However, when I go to the sign-off screen I am suddenly being prompted to automatically update. I do not wish to update automatically as the last update caused my PC to crash, thus I adjusted the settings accordingly. I have not been getting this message at closedown and I am concerned that i will accidentally click on the wrong icon and update. I am sorry if I have not explained this very well but it seems that my settings are being ignored (?). The only thing that may have affected this is that I did a system restore earlier today (for an unrelated prblem that seems to be a keyboard issue after all) and I am wondering whether this has somehow 'locked' the auto update (I apologise if this is baloney). I have tried undoing the restore and restoring to a later date but the auto update message at closedown is still appearing. Any ideas? I find it puzzling that my settings seem to be ignored.
Well, I hope you are not failing to install these updates. It typically is not necessary to install them on the day they come out, but they should eventually be installed. What exactly does th message say? You say you are prompted to automatically update. That sounds like to me, it is advising before doing anything.
Another possibility is that you've restored back to a point that was made just before an update was applied. Therefore it's asking you to once again apply the update upon shutting down. If that is the case, then it's not asking whether it can automatically download and install the updates, but rather install the update that you've already authorised. Cheers,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI